PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Question: What was done to this photo?

dns
07-18-2013, 03:30 AM
Original:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z352/newhaxdotcom/s3original_zps2246b036.jpg

Finished product:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z352/newhaxdotcom/s3shopped_zpsecce941b.jpg

This happens to be an S3B-Viking, which I used to work on in the Navy. But i'd like to know what you guys think the artist did to modify the photo the way they did? I know the second one isn't the exact same pic as the first, but it's from the same set of shots of that plane on that day. What types of filters, layering, smudging, etc do you think they used?

ozen
07-18-2013, 03:37 AM
Probably copy pasted/brushed clouds onto the top. Add some brush shadows and linear lights. Maybe sharpened it. Maybe added some textures from online and pasted it/cropped it/and or distorted it.

dns
07-18-2013, 03:50 AM
Kinda vague bro.. I'm wanting to try to replicate this effect on an old photo of an s3 from my actual squadron.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

ozen
07-18-2013, 04:01 AM
Well he could done anything with multiple methods, making a certain guess isn't noticeable. The effects are broad, just look like minor touch ups.

Austin .
07-18-2013, 05:32 AM
Honestly, the second one looks more like a sketch. But, if you say that they're both images, here's what I'm thinking they did:

Brushed color onto things, such as the window.
Added cloud renders/brushed clouds into the sky.
Added/brushed water.
Applied a texture or two.
Used the burn and dodge tool to play with the lighting
Sharpened the plane
Perhaps used something such as topaz, a photoshop plugin, to give it the look it has

Honestly, it kind of looks like they used the liquify tool in the bottom right hand side, then applied a layer mask so it only affected that one area. I have a feeling that some of my assumptions were wrong, but they for sure added textures to the plane, sharpened it, and used topaz to give it that kind of unrealistic feel... if you know what I'm talking about.

Feckless.
07-18-2013, 06:29 AM
It looks like a digital painting to me.

Josh
07-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Simple, they used lq stocks. Like, forreals .

dns
07-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the detailed response Austin. But Josh what do you mean? The quality of the rendered photo began as the same as the original. They aren't stocks they are actual digital photos taken by someone from another squadron.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

Josh
07-18-2013, 03:34 PM
What I mean is, the person who edited this used lq photos to edit this. I personally love the original more than the edited version cause of how clean it is .