PDA

View Full Version : Good idea to torrent on my school wifi?

mini
11-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Ok, my ISP is pretty unforgiving when it comes to illegal downloads. Now my school has pretty decent wifi, and I want to torrent my stuff off of that. Is there a chance that my school tech person would be able to identify that it is me downloading the stuff? I have my own personal macbook air. My worry is that they would notice the speeds dropping, and somehow be able to tell from my IP that it is me.

Any input (preferably from JL or someone else who really knows their shit)?

Thanks,
NIck

Atmosphere
11-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Is it possible to "hide/Change" your IP address by using a VPN, couldn't you?

Drugs
11-02-2014, 09:41 AM
If you're on their network, they'll be able to tell who is using up the most bandwidth. I'm no expert for sure, but I do believe they'll be able to track you based on your IP. I might be wrong though.

zeru
11-02-2014, 09:43 AM
It's pretty fucking easy to find out who's eating up bandwith with programs like Capsa or even moocherhunter.
Must of the network monitoring tools can even be used my a ten year old,so if your school tech guy isn't a complete retard, he will fuck you up.

mini
11-02-2014, 10:06 AM
It's pretty fucking easy to find out who's eating up bandwith with programs like Capsa or even moocherhunter.
Must of the network monitoring tools can even be used my a ten year old,so if your school tech guy isn't a complete retard, he will fuck you up.

I realize that, but how will he know that its me personally? I realize they will know my IP, but besides that, how can they find out my name?

Slowduck
11-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Don't be a fucking idiot, don't torrent on your school wifi.
Buy a torrent friendly vpn and torrent on your home connection. Use common sense

TeAm_FaTaL
11-02-2014, 10:48 AM
No there are options to hide yourself in a ton of torrent clients. But when you connect to the internet the admin of that internet will have access to all things connected. About the only thing they can do is force you offline. (if you protect your pc properly) But I seriously doubt anything would even be noticed. Unless you are downloading with some super speed torrent client that doesn't exist to the public. (most torrent clients only download at speeds that wouldn't even get on anyone's radar. And how on earth are you being detected by your home isp. It is very unlikely your isp is as strict as you think.
In the past two months I have torrent downloaded over 3 tb of data. (media, games, operating systems, and whatnot.) And haven't even heard a word from my isp.
But then again maybe I wouldn't even notice being throttled.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3878892388.png Hardline connection instead of wireless....lol

JesusLover666
11-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Don't torrent on any public wifi. If you need to torrent stuff, look into a seedbox from a site like feral hosting.

Fable
11-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Don't be a fucking idiot, don't torrent on your school wifi.
Buy a torrent friendly vpn and torrent on your home connection. Use common sense

Boom .....

Don't torrent on any public wifi. If you need to torrent stuff, look into a seedbox from a site like feral hosting.

& Boom !

TrueCrime
11-02-2014, 12:45 PM
I realize that, but how will he know that its me personally? I realize they will know my IP, but besides that, how can they find out my name?

MAC address, you most likely have to authenticate using your school-issued credentials.

Just get a VPN or seedbox. Better safe than sorry.

Slowduck
11-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Plus if you get caught torrenting on your school wifi, lol ur fuckd m8.

mini
11-02-2014, 01:48 PM
No there are options to hide yourself in a ton of torrent clients. But when you connect to the internet the admin of that internet will have access to all things connected. About the only thing they can do is force you offline. (if you protect your pc properly) But I seriously doubt anything would even be noticed. Unless you are downloading with some super speed torrent client that doesn't exist to the public. (most torrent clients only download at speeds that wouldn't even get on anyone's radar. And how on earth are you being detected by your home isp. It is very unlikely your isp is as strict as you think.
In the past two months I have torrent downloaded over 3 tb of data. (media, games, operating systems, and whatnot.) And haven't even heard a word from my isp.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3878892388.png Hardline connection instead of wireless....lol

Mediacom is a bitch.

chewtoys
11-02-2014, 02:14 PM
They can point out which router is using tons of bandwidth on their network, then they can see which MAC address and local IP on the router is specifically using tons of bandwidth, and if you're stupid like everyone else you probably have your MacBooked named like "Tony's MacBook Pro". So all they have to do is figure out which router it's coming from, classroom, ask for either everyone named "Tony" or just you to come with your laptop.

You probably signed agreements before hand to allow them to search your laptop incase a issue like this came up, because it's a personal laptop and not school owned.

Just "borrow" someone's laptop and torrent shit via USB apps, then unplug and give back. All on them.

I'm also sure that the sites/IP's used to retrieve tracking information are blocked on the school network, meaning you get an endless loading on the torrent trying to find information. That is if your school is on the same intelligence level my high school was.

You're totally not the first person to think of this, people have been caught before, not worth marks against your school record. Just break into your neighbors internet.

ToxicJew.
11-02-2014, 04:56 PM
You'd be retarded to try and use school internet to torrent stuff. Yeah, there's a chance you could get away with it, but for fuck's sake they aren't retarded; they can see p2p traffic easily.

Holy fuck shut the fuck up and stop bragging. Unless you're actually going to say something useful, no one gives a fuck.

zeru
11-02-2014, 07:33 PM

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3879552445.png
And i feel super happy with the speed , mother fucker show off

chewtoys
11-02-2014, 08:01 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3879552445.png
And i feel super happy with the speed , mother fucker show off

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3879587289.png

smirk#flip#right#still