Thread: Psychology.

User Info     Contact     Gamer ID

Default Psychology.

I'm not really "qualified" in the practice of psychology, some people may even believe that it is redundant for me to even talk discuss it. However I have studied psychology for vast amounts of time, made my own conclusions, theories, etc. Though today I will be focusing on Sigmund Freud.

When I think of Psychology, the first person that immediately pops into mind would be Sigmund Freud who founded the basics of Psychoanalysis. Though I do remember reading the book "MacBeth" written by the profound William Shakespeare; there was a scene in particular which really stood out, Lady MacBeth was being treated by a doctor due to the fact that she was going "crazy" over her husbands actions. This doctor was actually using some of the basic principals to which Sigmund Freud came up with centuries later. Just goes to show how much of a genius Shakespeare really was.

I remember reading a chart he made which really intrigued me, take a look if you want. I remember the full chart including more which I was reading from a book, couldn't seem to find it though. Take a look if you wish:

One of the theories Sigmund Freud very much believed in and helped popularize was the idea of "The Conscious Versus Unconscious Mind."

The conscious mind refers to your present perceptions of things/what you are currently aware of; such as thoughts, feelings, ideas, recollections, etc. This includes memories/thoughts that can easily be retrieved if given the task.

The unconscious mind refers to your things that you are un-aware of; such as instincts, drives, things we do not wish to remember, etc. The unconscious mind primarily holds negative/unpleasant thoughts/memories/habits. The unconscious mind influences our behavior even though we are un-aware of it.

Now I know I might be jumping all over the place, but I want to talk about something else for a second. Something I found really fascinating. Sigmund Freud had came up with the concept of "The ID", "The Ego", and "The Superego", these 3 things compose a person's personality.

Now I could sit here all day explaining those three concepts, however I will break it down into 2 things, which may or may not cover everything.

I was actually taking a course on Psychology, our mentor told us of 2 concepts; "iSelf" and "meSelf". The "iSelf" referred to what a person is like in public, or rather how they feel they need to behave around society, friends, school, etc. The "meSelf" referred to the true personality of a person; this true self is only displayed towards family members, or people that person is close to.

I remember hearing these concepts for the first time, it seemed very true from my perspective. Does anyone else believe that they have split personalities depending on whom they are with, or perhaps where they are? Also, what are your thoughts on the conscious and unconscious mind, do you agree with Sigmund Freud's theories/thoughts?

And on that note, I will conclude this thread with my favorite quote to which Sigmund Freud had spoken.

"What we call happiness in the strictest sense comes from the (preferably sudden) satisfaction of needs which have been dammed up to a high degree."

--Sigmund Freud

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I act differently around certain people, closer people I am more open and talkative. Strangers I am usually quiet around, nice thread.

Last edited by ellijah; 01-20-2012 at 07:44 PM.

MonsterCat
    Insan3Lik3

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/CheeseToastHax

I must say that we all act different around different people right? Isn't that okay. I'm not talking about dramatic changes but slight changes to the way the person is.
    Like if a person is really shy, you wont be full of energy, you wont make sexual jokes, talk about random shit ect..
    Whereas a another person may be completely opposite, whereas my parents I'm kinda different everywhere in between.
    Is this a bad thing?

"It's better to lose an argument/debate then to win. Cause when you lose you grow as a person."
    -CheeseToast

I'm mostly a loner so I don't usually have the basic day of laughter.
    When I'm with my friends, I'm open. (don't really have any REAL friends[except Christian])
    When I'm with my family, I feel free.
    My feelings are different around certain people.
    Some girls always make me smile, and some of my "bros" make me feel like somebody.

{OFF TOPIC}
    I looked at the ads and saw something about Psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by ellijah! View Post
    I act differently around certain people, closer people I am more open and talkative. Strangers I am usually quiet around, nice thread.
    As am I, I need to get to know them first; then I will open up gradually.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseToast View Post
    I must say that we all act different around different people right? Isn't that okay. I'm not talking about dramatic changes but slight changes to the way the person is.
    Like if a person is really shy, you wont be full of energy, you wont make sexual jokes, talk about random shit ect..
    Whereas a another person may be completely opposite, whereas my parents I'm kinda different everywhere in between.
    Is this a bad thing?
    It's not at all a bad thing, don't worry. These 2 types of people are classified as "introverts" and "extroverts". Extroverts tend to have a big circle of friends to which they rely on in order to be emotionally satisfied, they also tend to be more talkative, enthusiastic, abrasive, energetic, etc. Introverts on the other hand usually tend to be more humble and quiet, they do not require a large group of friends in order to be emotionally satisfied; they enjoy spending time alone. However being an introvert does not mean you are a "social outcast", it just means that you prefer spending your time by yourself doing things. Some people can even be in between or contain certain aspects of both, it doesn't really matter.

These things usually define what a person wishes to undergo in their life. This can range from jobs, activities, etc. In short, don't worry; you are completely fine the way you are.

Quote Originally Posted by DJPon3 View Post
    I'm mostly a loner so I don't usually have the basic day of laughter.When I'm with my friends, I'm open. (don't really have any REAL friends[except Christian])When I'm with my family, I feel free.My feelings are different around certain people.Some girls always make me smile, and some of my "bros" make me feel like somebody.
    Just in case you were wondering, you are completely fine the way you are. I know that sounds cliche, but it's very true.

Badge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: X_-ABlackGuy-_X

Quote Originally Posted by xadzer View Post
    Extroverts tend to have a big circle of friends to which they rely on in order to be emotionally satisfied, they also tend to be more talkative, enthusiastic, abrasive, energetic, etc. Introverts on the other hand usually tend to be more humble and quiet, they do not require a large group of friends in order to be emotionally satisfied; they enjoy spending time alone. However being an introvert does not mean you are a "social outcast", it just means that you prefer spending your time by yourself doing things. Some people can even be in between or contain certain aspects of both, it doesn't really matter.

Well as for me everyday at school I look forward to see my friends at break and lunch. I feel like I can only truly be myself around my friends. I cant really even be myself around my family cause of constant critisism. Me and my friends usually like to yell out offensive stuff in the hallways like we have torrets for a good laugh. We even go as far as making fun of construction workers out loud and making fun of our own races. Me and my large group of friends deeply rely on each other cause our lives outside are boring, dull, or it just sucks. Yet as much as I love my friends I want to have as much alone time as possible. It just gives me time to think and feel my most inner thoughts that I keep private. But when I want to see my friends I have to walk a mile just to see them.

Last edited by ABlackGuy; 01-22-2012 at 06:18 PM.

THE CLOSER
    Beast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Lennons-Lemons

Honestly I try to be myself all the time, including the classroom. Around strangers would be my weakpoint. I can`t act the fool I am around friends, I would leave a terrible first impression if I did.

Quote Originally Posted by ABlackGuy View Post
    Well as for me everyday at school I look forward to see my friends at break and lunch. I feel like I can only truly be myself around my friends. I cant really even be myself around my family cause of constant critisism. Me and my friends usually like to yell out offensive stuff in the hallways like we have torrets for a good laugh. We even go as far as making fun of construction workers out loud and making fun of our own races. Me and my large group of friends deeply rely on each other cause our lives outside are boring, dull, or it just sucks. Yet as much as I love my friends I want to have as much alone time as possible. It just gives me time to think and feel my most inner thoughts that I keep private. But when I want to see my friends I have to walk a mile just to see them.
    Dude same with me..i actually hardly ever talk to my brothers/parents. Partly cause all my dad ever talks about is colleges..golf..and how i need to be "more grown up". I love spending time by myself but als like being with my closest frineds as well..My friends are the only people i can really open up to just kinda ytalk..