Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Claptrap Fan
    Automotive Aficionado

Badge

User Info     Contact     Gamer ID

Default Living with Aspergers Disorder

A look at what Aspergers Disorder is first.

Asperger's disorder (commonly grouped and/or mistaken with Autism) "is the term for a specific type of pervasive developmental disorder which is characterized by problems in development of social skills and behavior. In the past, many children with Asperger's Disorder were diagnosed as having autism, another of the pervasive developmental disorders, or other disorders. While autism and Asperger's have certain similarities, there are also important differences. For this reason, children suspected of having these conditions require careful evaluation."

In general, a child with Asperger's Disorder functions at a higher level than the typical child with autism. For example, many children with Asperger's Disorder have normal intelligence. While most children with autism fail to develop language or have language delays, children with Asperger's Disorder are usually using words by the age of two, although their speech patterns may be somewhat odd.

Most children with Asperger's Disorder have difficulty interacting with their peers. They tend to be loners and may display eccentric behaviors. A child with Asperger's, for example, may spend hours each day preoccupied with counting cars passing on the street or watching only the weather channel on television. Coordination difficulties are also common with this disorder. These children often have special educational needs.

Although the cause of Asperger's Disorder is not yet known, current research suggests that a tendency toward the condition may run in families. Children with Asperger's Disorder are also at risk for other psychiatric problems including depression, attention deficit disorder, schizophrenia, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Child and adolescent psychiatrists have the training and expertise to evaluate pervasive developmental disorders like autism and Asperger's Disorder. They can also work with families to design appropriate and effective treatment programs. Currently, the most effective treatment involves a combination of psychotherapy, special education, behavior modification, and support for families. Some children with Asperger's Disorder will also benefit from medication.

The outcome for children with Asperger's Disorder is generally more promising than for those with autism. Due to their higher level of intellectual functioning, many of these children successfully finish high school and attend college. Although problems with social interaction and awareness persist, they can also develop lasting relationships with family and friends.

------------------------- Now you might wonder where I have something to say about it.

Now, you might wonder why I'm posting this. As a matter a fact, I personally was diagnosed with it. I might not seem like it to you through text, but if you ever knew me in real life, I'm not the most socializing person out there. As a child growing up in my early years, I wasn't the easiest to raise. I wouldn't speak to anyone, which made my parents fear that I was deaf. I was sent to a head start school to see what my problem was before I went off to kindergarten. Right there was how I fell a year behind my graduating time, but that's not the case here. I knew how to speak, but I was afraid to for some freak reason.

My Dad refused to have me tested to be confirmed for what at the time they thought was Autism (Asperger's was widely known in the 1990's, was very confused with Autism). Going through grade school, I was easily tempered, a loner, and could be physically violent if triggered. However, I did not pay attention to what the teacher said during a given lesson, even to this day I struggle with listening to them, and I generally think of some music I recently had listened to. I also happened to have the gift of being quick at learning anything math related, such as Algebra, Geometry, fractions etc. The teacher would try to catch me when I wasn't paying attention to humiliate me in front of the class, and yell my name and ask me if I knew the answer he had on the board when I obviously sat there playing a word search not paying attention to the math class, and I would turn around and instruct how to do the work, answer the problem correctly, and ask if he would leave me alone. It was probably a funny moment in class, though I had no one to laugh with. Oh, the joys of elementary and middle school. As I gradually excelled in the mathematics field, I began to struggle with attaining any new information to subjects such as science, reading, etc. Not that it was the hardest stuff, I just couldn't focus with being educated verbally.

Some of you might remember my mental breakdown in 2009, about a month into my severe depression, I don't remember who pissed me off around here, but when I was a Super Mod, and aids and I were bumping heads, I deleted half the material on the forum, out of pure rage. (Been said a million times I regret that action) I also did go suicidal, no idea why I lost my mind so simple like that. However my depression carried on for almost 8 months, then a girl that I totally fell for helped me out of it, long enough to get me to be suckered that she cared, to throw me aside and I wound up depressed again. That bitch tried coming back around again, but then tried to play the "It's my fault" card. About a month after that, I met my girlfriend, and from there the depression just wore away, and I found happiness. 15 months later I've been depression free, despite the many things that would have sidelined my hopes and dreams.

"Children with Asperger's Disorder are usually using words by the age of two, although their speech patterns may be somewhat odd."

Sometimes people asked what the hell I was talking about, guess that caught up to me.

I happen to get sidetracked by numerous things as well. The friends I have are mostly the ones I grew up with. I officially found out that I had Asperger's when I was 18 years old, shortly after I got into therapy for my depression. I can probably tack on to this at a later date, but my mind isn't processing the best right now.

So is there anyone who has

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    [HOONIGAN]

Tig O Bitties

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/l3g3darymods

my 5 year old cousin was recently diagnosed with aspergers disorder

One of my friends who I've known since I was young has autism, but I've never actually met someone with Aspergers though I've heard of it. Nice PTE thread Iced, it's nice to get things out. I'm glad your happy now.

Retired Prophet

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/kennethbgoodin

Wow, dude. You're right, i never would've guessed that you had this.

Sorry to hear you went through a rough time with depression, but glad to hear that you're good now.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

I personally do not have Asperger's Disorder however my cousin and a few other close relatives of mine have autism, my cousin in particular has really bad autism, I am not quite sure what it is specifically. He can't seem to convey proper sentences, he stutters, if you ask him a question or anything he starts drifting off and will instead begin to talk about something else. You can't really have a normal conversation with him. He does however specialize in certain subjects of interest, often times it is said that people with autism have this ability.

I see this is your very first PTE thread, and a really personal and well thought out one at that. I always knew you had slight autism as you had called it many times before, but you are right, it's almost impossible to tell via text on a computer.

Great thread bro, I'm glad you're in a happy state as of now. I hope you and your girl are doing well, I know you love her very much. Anyone who knows you even half well should know that by now. The future awaits you my friend, I hope it is filled with fulfillment and happiness.

--Your buddy, xadz.

($user_isGay == TRUE)? giveAids() : break; aids's Avatar

Badge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TheOriginalVirus

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/riottape Kik Username: aids gtalk account: codeleakers.com@gmail.com

Do u want sum cheeese on dat ass burgah or wut tsstsss tssss

BTC: 1AidsG8MHF4cEN6KpY1mhJPBhXtms65GVE

Everything is just so mendokuse. stud's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: IAmTawsif

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/blackjt222

Quote Originally Posted by aids View Post
    Do u want sum cheeese on dat ass burgah or wut tsstsss tssss
    Is spam allowed in PTE threads?

Retired Prophet

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/kennethbgoodin

Spam isn't allowed anywhere, except the spam section.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: xXArchdukeXx

It's ok, Iced, i still love you.

Help support me and earn money for yourself with your free time! http://points2shop.com/

Soccer <3
    Tryhard Noob

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/xXPANCAKESXxFTW

Wow I never would had though you had any disorder, let alone aspergers. I'm glad your out of your state or depression though.

Site Links:
    Staff | Rules | Content Guidelines | Wiki | User CP

Tryhard Grammar Nazi
    Pancakes? Who the fuck is this kid?

[My Wii Friend Codes]
    [My Youtube Channel]
    @[TWITTER]xXPANCAKESXxFTW[/TWITTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I say what I want to say and do what I want to do. There`s no in between. People will either love you for it or hate you for it.