Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
         User Info     Contact     Gamer ID
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: x-CrimsoN-x21

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xCrimmYx?feature=mhee

Default ASM vs RAM writes discussion.

When would you guys find it useful to write an asm routine instead of using RAM writes? Unless your trying to make it look better, or hide something in C0, orrrr writing to one of the reg.'s and/or using multi instructed values, then anything else can be done using a direct RAM write. In my opinion, it depends on the case. If you have long ass instructions like hetoans player highlight for example, your gunna want to C2/C0 it, furthermore, it writes to registers so you would then for sure need it assembled.

But, in your opinions, when is a good time to use it? Don't tell me its nice for infinite ammo, back up your reasoning with a statement, if that makes sense. Explain yourself, don't just give an example of a code you've seen assembled.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Austin .; 01-30-2012 at 07:16 PM.

1v1 (as of June) :
    Wins: 2 Losses: 0
    We accept the love we think we deserve.

just 'round the corner PoptartHunter's Avatar

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/PoptartHunterCL

Well, usually ASM is needed is when you can't just simply write a value to an address. When there are certain asm instructions that you need for a code you're making, then simply writing to the full address won't work, if tha makes sense.

I like to think of addresses like this:

The actual address is like a house, that has info (instructions) inside of it that can be used to make more efficient, precise code. The actual address usually works too, but it usually is only for one thing in the game, while the asm shows exactly everything that happens when that address is executed.

I'm going to use infinite ammo for an example (going to back up my reasoning). Say you have found the address for the ammo of your primary weapon, for player slot 1. Without asm, you'd have to find the address for each weapon, grenade, etc. because most of the time the address is specifically for one thing. You'd then have to write to different addresses to get the infinite ammo effect.

With asm, you can simply take the instruction address and nop it, which will give you an infinite ammo that works for everything that you throw, shoot, w/e with only one line, rather than 3 or 4 lines.

Another thing is, is that for some codes you only want a certain part of the instruction in an address.. So when you use the actual address and write a value to it, it doesn't always work. Basically, asm is a good language to learn and it allows you to make more complicated codes.

I know I'm not that good at explaining things, and it's pretty late where i live :p. I hope that somewhat made sense.

Sorry, I know I'm not very good at explaining my mind...

ASM could be used with anything you wanted to F6 to make it region free. I make regular RAM rights when I'm lazy and don't feel like filling out instructions.

Gamer IDs

Contact info:

Ahaha no I understood it:p

I guess your address -> house analogy was pretty clever, never thought of it that way.

I thought it'd be good to get some coding discussion going on, I've seen amazing results on Wiird due to a random discussion.

Anyway, I chuckled how you left the pointer address for infinite ammo out of your statement. Sure this is about asm and ram writes, however I have yet to see a pointer ammo address. It could work, because of the way I learned pointers, it'd theoretically capture all the addresses for every ammo and rewrite it from there.

This is slightly off track, but what do you guys think of an on screen GUI used to toggle codes on and off on the wii, like the psp? O.o. looks like that's my inspiration for another thread shortly.

@elijah, explain what you mean by your first sentence, "You can use ASM for anything you wanted to F6", I believe I understand that your saying they have the same effects, but why not just F6 the code? To me that's like writing the button value to a register in an asm instruction, rather then just using an activator O.o

Last edited by Austin .; 01-30-2012 at 07:43 PM.

1v1 (as of June) :

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: xXArchdukeXx

Sorry for the spam, but what?

Help support me and earn money for yourself with your free time! http://points2shop.com/

Gamer IDs

Contact info:

I don't consider it spam; anyone wanting to learn should be able to. I am almost positve that you are asking the difference between ASM and RAM writes?

RAM writes are most commonly the 04 and 05 codetype, however you can get into 00 and 02 and such, but for the most part we stick with 32 bit writes in the 80 region. They are simply addresses, say for instance 80345678 is the address, because of the code handlers coding we would change it to 04 so it is read and written as a cheat.

ASM, or assembly, is commonly the C2 and C0 codetypes. These look different when viewing them, as they look like:
    80345678 r3, r4(999)

Where r = register, and registers pretty much hold memory for the game.

1v1 (as of June) :

I meant if you want to F6 your codes to make them region free you have to use assembly.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: xXArchdukeXx

I was asking that, and how did you learn this?

Help support me and earn money for yourself with your free time! http://points2shop.com/

Gamer IDs

Contact info:

LOL, you have to use assembly to F6 a code? Uhm.... I dunno what method you use but mine doesn't (:

And badboy, I've wanted a gecko for how long? I'm suprised that your suprised that I knew this :$ I know quite a bit, and am quick to improvise. Poor koala has had to put up with all my ideas lately xD. Now another question I have, is why do most people use the 04/05 codetypes, when you can just as easily use 00, 10, 02 and 12 ? (Perhaps not 10 and 12 seeing as they are po's), when have you seen a code in the 00 or 02 codetype? If all were doing is searching 32 bit searches we're leaving a bit our of the games memory, meaning less possibilities, and stunting imagination and inspiration. Think about that next time you search (:.

1v1 (as of June) :

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Real_Koala

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: youtube.com/KoalaCOD

CrimsoN no worries bro, i am learning as you are :P not as fast, but that's why we work together, and i didn't know what each one was used for :P all i knew before this was that asm was for infinite ammo, but only from savages video on youtube that i quickly learned :P and that is true what you said, 14 is also a po. haha and i will try to get the pointer glitch working and we will make some of your ideas come to life i still have them memorized btw. and my question is... can you use any of these codetypes with any codes, say the triggerbot recode it into 10 or 02???? Just a question i have :P