Thread: Perception.

User Info     Contact     Gamer ID

Default Perception.

Perception.

Each individual tends to perceive things differently. For example, one person may find spiders to be scary while another person may not find them scary. How we perceive things is one of the many factors that help us define our overall personality. However, a person may not always want to perceive something a certain way. Giving another example: A child in highschool has a test the next day, he perceives that situation to be unpleasant due to the fact that he believes he will not do well on the test, this can lead to negative/unwanted effects such as skipping the test altogether, thus receiving no mark. That is just one example which shows how perception can affect a person's actions in a rather rational manner.

Though, if one was actually able to alter how they perceive certain things then they could very well benefit from it. This is very much possible!

Now I'm sure we've all had to do things to which we weren't too happy/excited/pleased,etc about doing. Some of us even get that unpleasant feeling in our stomachs beforehand when the task approaching. You see, I and many others believe that human beings are actually able to alter our own thought process. Obviously this ability will become better enhanced through practice, growth, regularity, etc.

Let me cover a few scenarios, keep in mind that these are pretty general...

1st: Guy has to go to work, he is always tired in the morning and can't seem to motivate himself enough, thus he stays in bed and sleeps in.

Response: One way to approach this would be to lie in bed before you sleep. Compile a list of reasons as to why you should go to work tomorrow, these reasons don't even have to be great, as long as YOU are able to believe them to some extent then it's fine. Keep repeating these reasons over and over and over again in your head, drill them into your mind. I can almost guarantee you that if done correctly your approach to going to work will be very different by the time morning arrives.

This type of response can also be used in other situations such as...

2nd: Kid has a history test in highschool during second period, he is currently in first period hoping that it will never end. He is very nervous and stressed out about the test next period.

Response: As said before, compile a list of reasons as to why you should take this test, try to ignore your surrounds and focus in on these reasons. Once again, drill them into your mind. If all goes well your nervousness should be vanished completely, at the very least it should have deteriorated quite a bit.

I had only mentioned 1 type of response, one of my favorite's actually; it has worked wonders for me in the past. As you can clearly see it is able to cover a vast amount of different situations. Now don't get me wrong, this response may not work for everyone. Every person is different, every person reacts differently to different things. However, there is always going to be something that suits your specific needs/personality, it is your job to find out what that actually is.

To conclude this thread, altering ones perception on things in the hope of positive effects is very much possible and I encourage anyone to try it. There's a great sense of success when something such as this is accomplished; almost as if your mind has evolved one step forward.

So, thoughts on this? Have you ever done something like this before? If so, please share your story.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xadzer; 02-05-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Retired Prophet

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/kennethbgoodin

Great thread, man. I think i'm going to try making a list of reasons as to why i should do something, and see if that helps.

Altering perception is not something most people would think of, I like the originality.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

MonsterCat
    Insan3Lik3

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/CheeseToastHax

Nice thread! This can also go the wrong way if you change you perception. Like thinking that your bed is the best bed in the world.
    Okay, maybe that's a bad example but you get the point.

I'm gonna make lists and remember reasons for why I should change my perception when I want don't want to do something.
    #1 rule:
    Always think positive.

"It's better to lose an argument/debate then to win. Cause when you lose you grow as a person."
    -CheeseToast

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseToast View Post
    Nice thread! This can also go the wrong way if you change you perception. Like thinking that your bed is the best bed in the world.
    Okay, maybe that's a bad example but you get the point.

I'm gonna make lists and remember reasons for why I should change my perception when I want don't want to do something.
    #1 rule:
    Always think positive.
    This. Never let negative thoughts seep through your mind, they will ruin the whole process.

Quote Originally Posted by Jew View Post
    Great thread, man. I think i'm going to try making a list of reasons as to why i should do something, and see if that helps.

Altering perception is not something most people would think of, I like the originality.
    Thanks, I was actually inspired by this person to whom I regularly debate with. We were talking about empathy and perception, one thing led to another and my mind started forming ideas, I then began to formulate this method I came up with (the one I talked about in this thread) and it's honestly worked wonders for me, I'm still at the early stages though. Not sure if it's an actual method or anything, I didn't do any research.

Glad you liked the thread.