Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
         User Info     Contact     Gamer ID

Default Music As A Natural High.

Music.

Everyone just loves music, well most people do. With so many different genre's of music and choices, who wouldn't enjoy listening to it?

I've always thought of music as a "natural high", not necessarily in the strict sense of energizing the listener, but rather in the sense of invoking emotions.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that we have all felt some type of emotion or mental state when listening to certain songs, correct? Though, I doubt most of us have ever questioned it, I'd assume that most of us just accept it and move on with our lives.

Let's go over a few ways that music effect us:

-Ever get goosebumps while listening to a song? Just another example of how music can effect us, it's also a good example of how our mental state can affect our physical state.

-Energetic/excited, feeling pumped and energized; just rearing to go.

-Thought provoking, just like when you read a meaningful new's article and start questioning/thinking about the topic at hand. Music can have this same effect on us as well.

-On top of the world, that feeling of being able to do anything, arguably one of the most satisfying effects music can have on us.

-Sad/Un-happy, that feeling of gloomy bitter despair.

-Zen/Peace, that feeling of happiness which leaves us calm and content.

It's no wonder music has been around for such a long time, music is a great thing that everyone should cherish and take part in, or at least I think so. Apparently music stimulates the chemical Dopamine in our brain which provides pleasure, but how though; some type of mesmerizing affect? Just goes to show how powerful the human mind actually is.

Also, it leaves me questioning other things. If music can stimulate changes in our physical and mental state through mere sound, who's to say that we cannot form certain types of music which can effect things such as our health?

Once again I will say it, the human mind is so complex; it's almost ludicrous. After discussing a topic such as this I'm sure the possibility of altering our health using the method of music doesn't seem so far fetched, it actually seems like a really good and relevant idea to me.

Ah, how I love discussing ways to which humans can influence our mental state in order to positively benefit our physical state, because after all; those 2 things coincide with each other.

So now I ask, what has music ever done to you; positive or negative? What about this general idea of music being able to improve health, does that sound possible?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xadzer; 02-19-2012 at 12:25 AM.

The Fire Within
    Winning!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TehNotorious PSN ID: NOTORIOUS-ORTIZ

Like music therapy

note to self: never drive motorcycles while listening to good techno...May cause increase in ballsy-ness and lead to a fatal crash

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

^Thanks Renji for the awesome sig^

fat chains, sex & tecs wooliethai's Avatar

music is probably one of the most positive forces in my life (second to mj), i really can't conceive of a time that music has ever had any sort of negative effect on me. even shit that isn't my cup of tea still has merit due to the fact that it's music period, you'd have to be a fool to be unable to appreciate the variety of harmonies and styles different genres provide regardless of whether or not you like the finished product as a whole.

goosebumps and energy are definitely the most frequent sensations i get from music i really vibe with, and i really can't stress enough that regardless of whatever one's personal preference is, music is an inexorably different experience while tripping or rolling. to me, that is when music is the most enjoyable, since your brain takes it to a whole different level while in an ASC like that. without getting too far into the whole hippie bippie drug bullshit, i've had some pretty profound moments of understanding & introspection thanks to the influence of certain music at the time (namely the whole album LP3 by Ratatat).

so yeah, music is definitely some good shit and the idea of it improving health does not only sound possible to me, but seems like a fact. anything you can derive as much happiness from as people do from music, whether in the form of listening to it or creating it, certainly has to be good for your health i would imagine.

my style is hard like strong lumber cute chicks get the dick ugly bitches get the wrong number

Retired Prophet

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/kennethbgoodin

You could go on for days about this topic, not even including the effects it has on the mind.

Music has always been my way of escape. Playing music calms me down, listening to it just helps me block out the world. Music means a lot to different people, but i think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't enjoy even one type.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

I'ma Fuckin Scalie

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XEFDragon Steam ID: SketchyDragon

Music breaks me away from life, I love it. I'll listen till the day I die.

P R O F E S S I O N A L S H I T P O S T E R

Quote Originally Posted by smokecrack666 View Post
    goosebumps and energy are definitely the most frequent sensations i get from music i really vibe with, and i really can't stress enough that regardless of whatever one's personal preference is, music is an inexorably different experience while tripping or rolling.
    Same with me bro, goosebumps are usually a bad thing for me, unless provoked by music. It's such a nice sensation; I know I really really like a song if I get goosebumps.

Claptrap Fan
    Automotive Aficionado

Badge

Music is a drug. It's great to have a select few genres for each mood you're in. There is always something out there to get you to relax, get you pumped up, or if you just want to beat the hell out of something.

It's a high that beats out anything personally. Great thread.

I couldn't agree more with all of these posts. I always listen to music, it just helps you relax or puts you in the zone. Life without music would be no life at all. Music makes everything better. Imagine watching your favorite movie or video game without any background music; everything would be boring. No atmosphere, no emotion. Static.

Good thread.

THE CLOSER
    Beast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Lennons-Lemons

Music really reaches the soul. I feel motivated to do work when I listen to rock, and feel beautiful when I listen to the Beatles and the Who

Quote Originally Posted by RED 58 View Post
    yep, because BF3 is CoD
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOWSKI
    What's an area code

just 'round the corner PoptartHunter's Avatar

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/PoptartHunterCL

I've been listen to a LOT of Radiohead lately and I feel this thread has described exactly what I feel when listening to their music, such as the song "Spinning Plates".

I'm not going to go into detail and type a 5 paragraph essay on how amazing music is, as my exact feelings about it have already been stated in this thread.

Very thought provoking to read the comments.