Results 1 to 6 of 6
Thread: [DCUO] Things to know
03-08-2012, 04:39 AM #1
- Join Date
- Jul 2008
[DCUO] Things to know
this is a direct repost. all credits to shaolinwind and respective authors.
THINGS I WISH I KNEW WHEN I STARTED PLAYING DCUO!!!
1) Use the d-pad or L3 stick during the Character Creation process to see all the options. The d-pad will move slowly item by item , while the R3 stick can be held up or down to scroll quickly.
2) You must be facing interactive objects correctly to interact. This means facing slightly to the wrong side or too far in front of the object will not give you the ‘press O’ interaction option. This can be a bit aggravating at first with travel powers, but with a little practice it becomes second nature.
3) Slash commands...can be used with a keyboard or PS3 on screen keyboard - but I HIGHLY suggest getting a USB keyboard to help with chatting. There aren’t a lot ingame yet, and I’m not sure if all of these work on the PS3 yet - but here are the ones posted so far (you can hit “o” to get to the chat window):
/say - Say something to anyone in your local area
/s - Same as /say
/groupsay - Say something to members of your group
/group - Same as /groupsay
/g - Same as /groupsay
/party - Same as /groupsay
/p - Same as /groupsay
/tell [name] - Send a private message to another person (use quotes around names with a space)
/t - Same as /tell
/reply - Send a private message to the last person that sent you a private message
/r - Same as /reply
/shout - Shout a message to everyone in the same region (like say but broader)
/invite [name] - Invite another person to join a group with you (no quotes needed)
/leave - Leave your current group
/kick [name] - Kick the specified person from your group (no quotes needed; must be leader)
/promote [name] - Promote the specified person to be the group leader (no quotes needed; must be leader)
/league - Say something to members of your league (if your in one - not sure if /l works or not)
4) When you hit “start” it will bring up the menu UI. If you click on the “mask” at the bottom ui, you can change your look without changing the stats of what you are wearing. The “look” of items is dependent on what items you’ve collected and equiped so far. You can sell any item you have previously equiped and still keep the “look” as an option (so you can go to a vendor, buy all the gear, equip it, then sell it back losing a little bit of cash and add all those “looks” to your options).
5) Pressing R1 (block) will release you from being crowd controlled (most of the time), as well as provide you with a couple of seconds of immunity.
6) If you hold the R1 button and the L3 movement stick, you will do a rolling dodge in the direction you wish. You can dodge ALL projectiles in the game, but beware, in PvP you can get hard stunned if you get caught with a lunge while rolling!
7) Not sure if screenshots are working on PS3 as of yet. This will probably be fixed soon.
8 ) Hovering over a gear item in your inventory, via a quest reward offer or via a vendor will now tell you the set type and whether you’ve collected it yet as a style item. Green means an increase in stats. Red means decrease in stats.
9) Auto-run is available at all levels, in or out of movement mode.
To auto run on the mouse/keyboard, press “num lock.”
To auto run on the controller, press and hold the left thumbstick.
Every movement mode allows you to purchase a “level up” to your auto-run speed via the skill tree, but you can still auto-run without it.
Note: you can’t engage auto-run while in the slower combat movement mode (i.e., if you’ve been attacking or have been attacked within the last few seconds).
10) Pressing the R2 and L2 keys together will siphon all the drops from mobs you’ve killed in the area to you, so you don’t have to run around to grab them all.
11) Don’t fly through doors...just don’t...(can get you stuck inside empty buildings)
12) Something I learned because of #11. If you get stuck anywhere, just use your map (M) warp buttons to port yourself out of that stuck spot. Theres a ‘Warp Rally’ and a ‘Warp HQ’ option on the left side of the map, and both on separate timers just in case.
13) In acrobatics, to use the Grapple line climb abilities mount a wall and press and hold SPACE to zip up a wall (you have to purchase the grapple line power first). To use the grapple wall be near a wall and hit space to grapple and pull yourself to it while falling. To use the speed glide (after purchased) press jump twice to glide and hold L3 button down.
14) With acrobatics, you can double jump by pressing jump again while in the air. If you hold jump down on the second tap, you glide. I played for quite a bit before I realized this.
15) In combat, your energy recharges and your supercharge meter fills up based on your combo. The higher your hit counter, the faster they fill. Your supercharge meter currently appears as an orange and red bar beneath your blue energy bar. Specific powers use your supercharge meter. Destroying health barrels will charge up your supercharge meter AND your life, so get them every chance you can!
16) You can switch roles pressing up on the d-pad, these can be configured in the Loadouts screen (this is how you move powers around on your bar). Note: Some loadouts are for illusions/transformations, to get to these you have to use specific abilities. To change your loadouts, press ‘x’ on the desired position and then press ‘x’ on the power you want to be placed there. It’s fairly simple once you get the hang of it.
17) Stats -
Might increases the damage of your powers. (no longer increases healing)
DPS and Precision increase the damage of your abilities and weapon attacks.
Defense increases mitigation in PvE.
Toughness increases mitigation in PvP.
18 ) Pet commands:
To summon: Activate the ability like you would any other
To change tactics from aggressive to passive or back: Activate the ability again while the pet is summoned
To dismiss the pet: Hold the button for the ability until the pet goes away
19) You can enter flight mode by holding down the jump button instead of holding L3 (if you have the flying travel form). I believe you can activate the other travel modes the same way.
20) Enemies who are trapped by Encasement control effects (freezing, stasis field, etc) can only be damaged by certain powers -- specifically, ones that say they do heavy damage to Encased enemies in the power description. Normal attacks and powers will not cause any damage, and will in fact break the Encasement faster.
21) Current Stats & Descriptions that effect powers, abilities and weapon attacks.
Note: These are found by going to your inventory tab (i) and clicking on the stats tab.
Health:Health measures the amount of damange you can take before being knocked out. Enemy attacks can reduce your health. You automatically begin regenerating health when you leave combat.
Power: ower is required to use super abilities and is drained as they are preformed. Power is recovered quickly when using weapon attacks to drive up the hit counter. Power returns slowly when out of combat.
Defense: Defense reduces the damage received by attacks made by non-player enemies.
Might: Might increases the damange and Health recovery effects caused by super powers.
Restoration: Restoration increases the potency of all Health recovery effects you activate.
Vitalization: Vitalization increases the potency of all Power recover effects you activate.
Precision: Precision adds to the base damage caused by all weapon attacks.
Toughness: Toughness reduces the damange you receive from attacks made by enemy players.
Dominance: Dominance makes your control effects such as stuns harder to escape. Dominance increases the damage an enemy must take before control is broken.
22) Stat Formulas
Precision: 10 Precision = +1 Weapon DPS
Might: 4 Might = +1% increase in base power damage or healing
Restoration: 4 Restoration = +1% increase in base amount healed
Vitalization: 4 Vitalization = +1% more power generated by any effects you cause
Dominance: 2 Dominance = +1 additional damage an enemy must take before control is broken
Defense/Toughness: As you gain levels more Defense/Toughness is required to maintain the same protection. Roughly 15 Defense at level 1 and 71 Defense at level 30 = +1% more damage prevention.
There are hard caps but you shouldn’t be able to reach them. They are more or less just there in case the devs flubbed up somewhere.
23) passive bonuses available in the weapon trees are ALWAYS ACTIVE. You don’t need to be using a 1-Handed weapon to get the Precision bonus. If you buy a stat box you get that bonus no matter what weapon you’re using.
24) Certain select powers require the meter to be at a set level (full, half, etc.) before they can be used. The icons for these powers is grayed out if there is insufficient Supercharge, and they have a coloured outer ring that fills as you gain Supercharge. Once the ring is full the icon is no longer grayed out, and the power can be used. Mouse over the various power types to see if they require 50 to 100% of your full supercharge meter. The Supercharge Bar (and the Power Bar) is filled through the standard attack combo counter.
25) You do NOT get your designated second role/loadout until level 10. After that you can use ‘up’ on the d-pad to switch roles outside combat. You cannot switch roles in combat.
26) Make sure to click on all the investigation items before you leave an instance. You may not be able to get back in later until after you hit 30 or unless you have a mission still inside that instance.
27) Repair at a vendor after you complete a series of missions, especially if you get knocked out a lot. Nothing feels worse then getting to a boss only to see that “your gear is broken” message. It makes a noticeable difference in combat.
28 ) When you get to a mission zone, fly around the area and look for secondary side quests (a “!” on your mini map). Most will have something to do with that current mission and you can end up getting more XP just completing your main mission.
29) Green Investigation items (outside of an instance) are normally around the quests zones so while looking for the secondary quest givers (Noramlly 1 or 2 at each area but not always) look for the Green symbols.
30) Level 30 is the current level cap for Heroes and Villains. Once you hit that level, you get a new mission to see your mentor. That leads you on a quest series that activates the ability to access end game content (raiding and such).
31) If you can’t re-find a side quest giver to turn in a quest, go into your journal and activate the side quest so you get the directional arrow on your mini map. You can later go back in and re-activate your main mission.
32) After the majority of boss fights, there is a path to a quick exit that opens up. You don’t have to run all the way back to the beginning to get out. Just look at your mini map or find the glowing pillar.
33) World bosses are often in the lvl appropriate quest areas so watch it while doing them.
34) You can reset any instance (before the last boss is defeated) by logging out of the game. This will put you back outside the instance with it reset. (to log out, go to the Settings tab on the menu bar and choose ‘switch character’ )
35) Group sizes: Solo, Duo, 4-man and 8-man
36) The Skull and Red Arrow means that a near by enemy is readying a powerful attack...good time to block or dodge (covered in the turtorial, but good to remember).
37) Regarding Quest Credit...Everyone who has contributed to an encounter gets credit for all secures or deliveries. So don’t get mad if you see fellow villains or heros ganking your mobs. You both get drops and mission credit! So don’t be scared to help a brother out!
If you need to KO + secure some guys and someone comes up and secures one while you’re fighting the other, you BOTH get credit for it!
If there’s an object you need to deliver. But there’s an NPC guarding it. While you’re fighting that NPC, someone grabs the object and delivers it. You BOTH get credit for the delivery.
If there’s an encounter with a KO, a secure and a delivery and you’re fighting the KO and two other guys come up and do the secure and the delivery, guess what? That’s right, you get credit for both the delivery and the secure.
If there are three NPCs and a secure. Two people KO one guy, three other people KO the second and a lone guy number six KOs the third. Meanwhile a seventh hero does the secure. All seven people get secure credit and the ones that helped KO a guy get a single KO credit a piece.
38 ) Completing investigations automatically sends you Mail that appears to show no gear attachment. If you “take attachment” you will still get the gear reward (check your inventory).
39) If you leave an instance to join an alert that you were queued for, when the alert completes will be ported back outside the instance with it reset. This may be true for other queued items. You do not reset the instance by queing for an alert or pvp, just by joining them once called.
40) Combat Controls:
Square button for melee and Triangle for ranged combo attacks.
L2+Triangle/Square/O/X buttons or R2+Triangle/Square to activate your super powers.
R2+O to use consumables.
R2+X to use trinkets.
R1 to block and breakout (hold R1 + Movement with Left stick to dodge)
L2+R2 to gather loot.
L1 hold to hard lock your current target.
Move camera left or right to cycle left and right through targets before you hard lock.
Release L1 to stop hard lock
New! Hold L1 and press ‘up’ or ‘down’ on the D pad to zoom in and out!
New! Hold L1 and press ‘left’ or ‘right’ on the D pad to switch targets!
41) In the Watch Tower, there are consoles in the place formally call the Habitat that you can respec with. The best way I’ve found to get to them is traveling from the Tech wing to the Meta wing or vice versa. Hall of Doom also has these consoles. You will pay a nominal fee that increases with each respec.
42) Teleport portals for Gotham are in the tech wing. Teleport portals for Metropolis are in the meta wing (pretty obvious, but didn’t click right away they were by wing). It is the same for the Watch Tower and Hall of Doom.
43) As you get to later levels, go to the Watch Tower for the better potions (healing/energy). The initial portals in the Meta and Tech wings have vendors just outside the door. One sells potions.
44) Your map contains 2 buttons on the bottom left where you can teleport to the nearest rally point or teleport directly to the watchtower. Cooldown for Rally teleport is just about 8 minutes. Cooldown for HQ teleport is around 1 hour.
45) Itemization Coloring:
Gray = not useful to you; sell it to a vendor
White = okay, but has no stat bonuses
Green = has good stat bonuses
Blue = has really good stat bonuses
Purple = has really, really good stat bonuses
Orange = Legendary
46) Regarding clickable “?” item in the World Environment
Collectible item = Yellow
Investigation item = Green
Brief = Blue
47) If you hear voices that do not match the NPC’s (male for woman or vise versa) please report. Then again she just might be over-dosed on Testosterone.
48 )Falling does no damage. It doesn’t matter how high you fall from, you will take no fall damage ingame. One fun thing to do is fly up really high and turn off your flight ability (f) and just fall to earth. The devs decided it wasn’t very epic to die ingame via falling.
49) Badge Types:
Distinction - earned thru 8 man raids, used to buy “t2” iconic armors (note that just because it queues under the raid tab doesn’t mean it’s a raid)
Triumph - earned thru duos and 4 mans, used to buy “t1” iconic armors
Victory - earned thru pvp arena, used in conjunction with pvp cash to buy iconic pvp armor
Courage - earned thru pvp Legends, used in conjunction with pvp cash to buy pvp weapons and armors from the high level PD/Nightclubs
50!!) HOW TO LEAVE A LEAGUE: Open up the menu, go to the social tab and find your name. There is an option to ‘leave league’ there. Hopefully that helps.
51) Costumes: to add to number 4 above...
Costumes are unlocked each time you equip an item or use a costume token. Using the token will ‘destroy’ the token, but it unlocks the costume in your ‘style’ tab. You do NOT have to have an item equiped in order to see it on your character. Once the piece is unlocked, just open up the style tab on the menu bar and click on the item you want changed.
You can now lock or unlock your costume choices. If you do not want gear changing the way your character currently looks, you can use the ‘lock all’ button at the top of the style tab. If you want to change a piece of gear later on however, you must unlock your costume, equip the piece, and then lock again (just to be safe) in order for it to appear on your character.
This also works for colors. Pressing R1 while in the style tab will switch over to colors. Your costume must be unlocked in order for color changes to tack effect as well. I found unlocking the costume, changing the colors, then re-equiping the items I want to use, then locking the costume again works best.
NEW: Added 1.31.11
There is a ‘Save’ button at the bottom of the styles tab once you change your colors. PRESS IT. You can change your costume to your hearts delight for hours, and if you do not press ‘save’ you will lose all your hard work once you exit the style tab. Just make sure to press ‘Save’ after making changes to your costume. You will be glad you did.
Again, please add anything you feel noteworthy. If anything is incorrect i appologize - most of this info is from beta.
Thx again to rom101
52) Here is a thread with links to all things DC. Manuals, Tips, Comics, etc., be sure to check it out.
53) If you are experiencing freezing problems:
Do not switch off the console in the back. That is the fastest way to ‘brick’ your PS3 system, or crash your hard drive in other words.
Use the power touch pad in the front, hold your thumb there and wait for the beep. Your system should shut down eventually on it’s own. This is MUCH safer - even if it takes a while. Definitely worth the wait.
Credit for this goes to RONIN13 Thank you sir!
“Powers determine “roles” (jobs/class). Fire and Ice are Tank roles. Gadgets and Mental are Controller roles. Magic and Nature are Healer roles. Every class has a “damage” role. That is the default dps role. So anyone can DPS. A Tank’s job is the same here as in any other MMO. He draws enemies to him and take the hits for the team. Healer heals. Controller’s hold enemies via stuns and what have you. Controllers keep too many enemies from swarming the group. Controllers also have a few powers to replenish the group’s power bars.
Anyone CAN dps. How much you do is up to you. But you can only be Damage Role (DPS) or Tank/Controller/Healer Role at one time, not both. At level 10 you get stances. You switch stances by hitting up on the D-pad and going to where it says cycle stances.
Your powers work a bit differently when you’re in Tank/Controller/Healer role. Make sure to read the descriptions of each power carefully and note the differences.
When grouped up it is advisable to switch out of the Damage role and into your Tank/Controller/Healer role. The three roles were made with synergy in mind. Having 4 people in damage role in an Alert is not well advised. You may be able to power through it, but you’re more likely a lot better off playing your role and acting as a team. This becomes crucial at level 30 for raids.”
As mentioned in 16 - press ‘up’ on the d-pad and the press ‘cycle roles’ to change your roles.
Fire is Damage
Shield is Tank
Plus is Healer
Diamond is Controller
This can not be done in combat.
55) A few tips for PvP
Tank counters Controller
Controller counters Healer
Healer counters Tank
As for Combat -
Blocks countered by Block breakers
Block breakers countered by Lunges
Lunges countered by Block
Ranged avoided by Dodge roll
Dodge roll countered by Lunge
Every hold and stun is countered by tapping block
Hold and stun break costs energy so must be used carefully, or you end up with no energy and dead.
And a really great place to learn everything you wanted to know about PvP in this game - Thanks going out to Lokai for all his hard work:
55) A complete list of powers in DCUO, thanks to MasterShke
56) When in the instances menu, press R1 to switch to hard mode alerts and raids, such as smallville.
03-08-2012, 05:23 AM #2
Holy shit. Those are some nice things to know.
03-08-2012, 05:25 AM #3
Um wow nice one aids. I didnt have to to read most of it but what caught my eye was the chatting system. You can use a mic in game to talk to people in your group or league.
03-08-2012, 08:18 AM #4
Thank you for this I no longer have any questions.
03-08-2012, 08:23 AM #5
- Join Date
- Jan 2012
- Waconia Minnesota
Sick. Great post
03-08-2012, 03:53 PM #6
over the spring break i shall download.How many gigs?