Following the recent thread I posted in which Saurik explained on ModMyi Forums exactly how little he earned from Cydia, Saurik has now posted another response detailing why piracy is allowed to continue on Cydia.

Quote Originally Posted by Saurik
As for piracy, that question is a "broken record": I have answered it numerous times, on this forum, on reddit, on Twitter, in talks at conferences (including JailbreakCon); a simple Google search for "saurik piracy" even brings up numerous blog posts documenting second-hand descriptions of various of my responses to this question: pages and pages of them. I do not understand why people are unable or unwilling to just read or listen to older discussions of this.

The short answer, however, is: it is fundamentally impossible to block piracy on a platform that the user controls; to do so would require locking down the jailbreak to make "Cydia the new Apple" and ridding the idea of third-party repositories from the ecosystem. The default repositories are all very anti-piracy, as is Cydia's moderation and marketing efforts.If Cydia attempted to block specific pirate repositories entirely (as opposed to all of the third-party ones), it would be worked around with randomized URLs, patches to Cydia would disable the functionality, Cydia itself would likely be replaced by something "designed for piracy" in numerous alternative jailbreaks (undermining the anti-piracy mission), and after all of that failure the result would just be that I would then be legally responsible for the piracy.

Cydia is a web browser: it cannot nor should it attempt to decide what content a user can use it to access. It cannot block people from anything: it does not limit you from things that are illegal in my country, things that I find obscene, things that I disagree with, things that I simply don't like, or things that are unethical (subjectively or objectively: choose your philosophy).

To attempt to do so is both futile and against the idea of an open device: it undermines the entire reason we are jailbreaking in the first place, and it would simply serve to give me, someone you don't seem to even like or agree with, power over your device with the ability to pick and choose what software you can and can't install; if there were a second me, and the first me did that, the second me would feel the need to encourage the community to "re-jailbreak" the now-closed platform.

So, the stance that it should do so or even that it should be possible to do so (as, again, it technically is not without re-securing the jailbreak experience under centralized control) is a vote a) for Apple's closed App Store and b) a vote for SOPA (the anti-piracy legislation based on the premise that the Internet should black-hole websites that pirate content; the one that half the Internet, including ModMyi's blog, stood up to protest).