#HitlerDidNothingWrong
    ⌘Flying Dutchman⌘

User Info     Contact     Gamer ID
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: baktiar77 Wii Code: baktiar77

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/77baktiar

Default UK government fines Sony for Lulzsec's 2011 PlayStation hack

Sony has been fined 250,000 - and the company's data protection policies criticised - by UK authorities investigating the infamous 2011 PlayStation hack.

The Information Commissioner's Office described the attack, which risked the personal information of 77 million customers, as a "serious breach of the Data Protection Act".

Hackers gained access to customer names, addresses, dates of birth and passwords. Payment card details were also left "at risk", the ICO described.

Everyone had just forgotten about this.
    Sony has already said it "strongly disagreed" with the ICO's ruling and plans to appeal, BBC business editor Steph McGovern wrote.

The ICO's report concluded that the attack "could have been prevented" if Sony's security had been up-to-date.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Smith, deputy commissioner and director of data protection
    If you are responsible for so many payment card details and log-in details then keeping that personal data secure has to be your priority. In this case that just didn't happen. When the database was targeted - albeit in a determined criminal attack - the security measures in place were simply not good enough.

There's no disguising that this is a business that should have known better. It is a company that trades on its technical expertise, and there's no doubt in my mind that they had access to both the technical knowledge and the resources to keep this information safe.

The penalty we've issued today is clearly substantial, but we make no apologies for that. The case is one of the most serious ever reported to us. It directly affected a huge number of consumers, and at the very least put them at risk of identity theft.
    Sony boss Kaz Hirai was one of several high-ranking executives who personally apologised following the hack, which left all customers with a 24-day PlayStation Network outage while security was beefed up (and gave them free games).

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...aystation-hack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Baktiar; 01-23-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Shrek is love, Shrek is life Squish.'s Avatar

Badge

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SquishyYum

Interesting. I remember when this happened, hectic.
    I do agree though that the problem could have been avoided if there security levels were at the correct standards.

THANKS GOOBS FOR THE GREAT GIFT!

~ GIFTS FROM FRIENDS ~
    JROD ~ VINYL 1 ~ VINYL 2 ~ VIN ~ STRIKE

i O S Editor
    HerpeGanaSyphilli

Badge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: CONTROLABLEx

He is right, I just hope apple doesn't get hacked the same way. so many ppl have payment info link to it as well.

#HitlerDidNothingWrong
    ⌘Flying Dutchman⌘

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: baktiar77 Wii Code: baktiar77

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/77baktiar

Quote Originally Posted by tr View Post
    He is right, I just hope apple doesn't get hacked the same way. so many ppl have payment info link to it as well.
    Apple does invest a fair bit in Security and Development, and sometimes takes their services offline just to fix them. It even recruits hackers. But like every other company, it can be hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Balitar View Post
    Apple does invest a fair bit in Security and Development, and sometimes takes their services offline just to fix them. It even recruits hackers. But like every other company, it can be hacked.
    Yes I find it interesting how companies recruit crackers and pay them big money to help them beef up security. I mean, once their recruited, how does the company know that they wont just take advantage of their trust and steal more information? I mean I know they get paid but depending on the information, they could sell that info for even more on the black market or something and make even more of a profit..

i O S Editor
    HerpeGanaSyphilli

Badge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: CONTROLABLEx

Quote Originally Posted by Balitar View Post
    I am sure your right, with enough time anything can be 'gotten into'. But just think about it, In the begining of iTunes you had to have a credit card in order to inlist, now there are ways around it I am sure. But considering just this quarter thet sold 75 million iDevices. That info could do some damage I think.