User Info     Contact     Gamer ID
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Smirkz94 PSN ID: Smirkz- Steam ID: Unleashed2594

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Unleashed22594

Default Kirbys Creator Isnt Thrilled with Video Game Storytelling

"As a long time gamer, I often find the stories told by games to be bothersome." Kirby creator Masahiro Sakurai writes in his Weekly Famitsu column. Indeed, many games seem to take their time laying out the beginning of their stories, showing long (and sometimes unskippable) cutscenes, or limiting what actions the protagonist can take before finally relinquishing control to the player's hands.

This sort of intro can ruin the tempo of a game and, in the worst cases, break any immersion the player was hoping to achieve. Sakurai, who also worked as a designer on the fighting game series Smash Bros, goes on to say, "Perhaps my desire to play the game makes me too impatient towards any elements that seem to interfere with that."

Scenarios are a necessary element of games, Sakurai admits. The game world needs some sort of background in order for the characters to exist, and providing players with a story-based objective adds to the emotional investment and enjoyment of a game. But video game scenarios are fundamentally different from the scenarios in other forms of media. Sakurai brings up the death of characters in games as an example. "Take when a character you have spent time building up dies or leaves your party: for someone playing the game, it feels unfair." Sakurai explains. "The departure of a companion. In a standard story, this is a very basic plot point. But in games, it leads to a disruption."

I feel as if nobody could of said it better. Lately video games have been immensely lacking, as a matter of fact about a year or two into the PS3/360 era story telling seems to have taken a tumble and has yet to get back on it's feet. Granted there are a few games that still give great stories (Uncharted, and Assassins creed for an example) but the ratio of shit games to good games IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Remember the good old days where you couldn't beat that one boss? You spent the entire night thinking of ways to defeat him and what mixture of weapons and healing items you should use. Getting so close to defeating him and yet falling short at the last stand of the battle. Only to make the defeat of that said boss that much sweeter with the rush of happiness and the feeling of accomplishment.

This.....this is what i miss. Sure multiplayer is great but nothing can compete with a great story. Just like they say the book is always better the movie look no further because that is truth.

Devs make a Story Mode with a "Meh" mentality of a 6th grader when their parents tell them to do their homework. That kind of "Do i have to?" Mentality is why the video game industry is lacking and yet we are easily entertained with games like Angry Birds....

The video game industry was booming in the PS2 era because we had such a variety, a plethora of games with different outlooks and now that they see games like COD and Battlefield selling millions of copies they want to be straight multiplayer and have all these FPS and slow mo action shit in their games. Which is good but fuck in every god damn game? Now it's just stale and cliche.

Yet they are amazed with games like God Of War and Bioshock, "Oh they're so original, thats why they sell" Well no shit Sherlock!

Let me end it on this because this article is more of a rant than news but whatever "Those who dared to be different changed the world" When Disney told John Lasseter (Creator of Pixar) to make 2D films he made Toy Story and it became one of the best selling and beloved movies of all time and inspired many to make movies like it and thousands of kids to want to become animators (I am one of those kids)

When Picasso started to make abstract art they looked at him like he was crazy but when you look at it in the right light and state of mind you can see the picture and what it is much more clearly. When Warhol wanted to use bright colors instead of Picasso's browns and blues people called him a genius.

It isn't hard to make a great game, like i said look at Angry Birds. When you take simplicity and add a dash of creativity you can make something great. People just haven't noticed that yet.

Quote courtesy of Kotaku

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Unleashed; 02-14-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Badge

Agreed. There's very few games with an actual good story you get into. That's why I loved the Uncharted games so much. You literally play every bit of the story :3

Collabo with my boi Artemis :3

#HitlerDidNothingWrong
    ⌘Flying Dutchman⌘

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: baktiar77 Wii Code: baktiar77

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/77baktiar

An exception to this with long cutscenes is Metal Gear Solid. Not manygames can boast about their storytelling like MGS can.

Quote Originally Posted by Unleashed View Post
    When Disney told John Lasseter (Creator of Pixar) to make 2D films he made Toy Story and it became one of the best selling and beloved movies of all time and inspired many to make movies like it and thousands of kids to want to become animators (I am one of those kids)
    *Steve Jobs who atm running NeXT/Apple.
    Disney was only distributer. I'd reccomend reading Steve Jobs bio for more information

Gamer IDs

Contact info:

Quote Originally Posted by Balitar View Post
    An exception to this with long cutscenes is Metal Gear Solid. Not manygames can boast about their storytelling like MGS can.

*Steve Jobs who atm running NeXT/Apple.
    Disney was only distributer. I'd reccomend reading Steve Jobs bio for more information
    Yea, but first he presented 3D animation to Disney and they told him "If it's not cheaper or faster no" Then he started to make a few shorts and Steve Jobs saw it's potential and they created Pixar.

I've read John Lasseters book

#HitlerDidNothingWrong
    ⌘Flying Dutchman⌘

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: baktiar77 Wii Code: baktiar77

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/77baktiar

Quote Originally Posted by Unleashed View Post
    Yea, but first he presented 3D animation to Disney and they told him "If it's not cheaper or faster no" Then he started to make a few shorts and Steve Jobs saw it's potential and they created Pixar.

I've read John Lasseters book
    Pixar was bought by Steve Jobs from LucasArts. They never created it. Along with the purchase of Pixar came Lasseter, who with Steve Jobs's hardware NeXT created Toy Story and most other Pixar classics till 2006, when Jobs formally sold it to Disney.

Nintendo Section Moderator PvtRyan's Avatar

Badge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gamer_pvtryan Steam ID: pvtryan_cl Wii Code: PvtRyan

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/xPvtRyanx

PS4 Profile:

Gamer IDs

Contact info:

Quote Originally Posted by Balitar View Post
    Pixar was bought by Steve Jobs from LucasArts. They never created it. Along with the purchase of Pixar came Lasseter, who with Steve Jobs's hardware NeXT created Toy Story and most other Pixar classics till 2006, when Jobs formally sold it to Disney.
    Yes this i know but Lasseter was making shorts before this all which he presented to Disney (who he was working for at the time) then all that came after.