Claptrap Fan
    Automotive Aficionado

Badge

User Info     Contact     Gamer ID

Default PlayStation 4 Not Backwards Compatible

In a roundtable conversation with journalists, President of Sony’s Worldwide Studios noted that PS3 games of both the retail and downloadable variety will not be compatible with PlayStation 4, at least not natively. In other words, your PS3 discs won’t work in the new console nor will the games you downloaded. This means that hits like Journey, The Unfinished Swan, Shatter and hundreds of other games available in the digital space will not be carried over to PlayStation 4 in addition to the collection of PS3 discs sitting on your shelf.

There’s a catch, though: emulation. The PlayStation 3 doesn’t read PlayStation 2 discs (at least not anymore), but it can play PS2 games via the PlayStation Store in an emulated environment. Yoshida concedes that this is possible for PlayStation 4 supporting legacy PlayStation consoles as well. Indeed, the Gaikai presentation during PlayStation 4’s reveal touched on this “everything, everywhere” mentality. But for now, downloaded PS3 games won’t work “unless, somehow, some games work on emulation. And the easiest thing, technically, would be to make PSone games work on PS4 with emulation. But we’re not talking about our emulation plans as yet.”

In short, “There are two ways [to play legacy content]: emulation or cloud services [from Gaikai]. But native support [of digital games from PS3], no, sorry. It doesn’t work.”

But how about some good news to close? Yoshida reaffirmed that “disc-based games on PS4” will work on any other PlayStation 4. So, as first reported yesterday, PS4 will have no used games/shared games lock for retail, store-bought titles.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/...-digital-games

It's rather disappointing to hear, honestly. Looks like I'll have to keep my older games and consoles for nostalgic gameplay.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Icee; 02-21-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    [HOONIGAN]

I'm not surprised at all.

1. The Cell processor would be difficult to emulate, they would need to port each game over like they did for PS2 games on PS3.
    2. PS3 will still be selling like hotcakes, especially after another price drop, much like the PS2 was.

So I wont be getting a PS4 this year, maybe 2014 when the price drops and more games are released.

Evolved Modder
    Living Liek Larry
    Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.
    Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: L33T_T0ny Steam ID: ToNy Wii Code: L33T_T0ny

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped OuT View Post
    I'm not surprised at all.

1. The Cell processor would be difficult to emulate, they would need to port each game over like they did for PS2 games on PS3.
    2. PS3 will still be selling like hotcakes, especially after another price drop, much like the PS2 was.

So I wont be getting a PS4 this year, maybe 2014 when the price drops and more games are released.
    agreed, as excited as i am im not willing to empty my pockets quite yet

Badge

There goes hundreds of dollars spent on games down the drain ):

Collabo with my boi Artemis :3

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Mr_Waffle

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    There goes hundreds of dollars spent on games down the drain ):