Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
         User Info     Contact     Gamer ID
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: wieisjason

Default I need training advice

Hey guys,

So this Monday I started going to the gym (I'm pretty skinny and want to gain some muscle) since Monday.
    Note that I am 16 years old and 5'9 and around 55kg.
    I started off by going on this treadmill for like 15-20 minutes (I also have asthma) and after that I went to the weights.
    It seems that I managed to do 7kg pretty good in the beginning, but after already a few minutes I started to almost throw my arms in the sky to get the weights up.
    A day later I suffered from sever Myalgia, I couldn't stretch my arms... the day after that too.

Anyway I need some tips from people who also go to the gym (of course longer than me) so I can do heavier weights in a short time without having such a bad myalgia.

I'd also like to know which 'devices' make you grow the most muscle, for arms especially.

A few questions:
    If you remember with how much weights (per arm) you did in the beginning, how much was it?
    How long do you go to the gym?
    How long can you go on, on a treadmill?

That's pretty much it, thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Rank does not confer power or privilege, it imposes responsibility."

Claptrap Fan
    Automotive Aficionado

Badge

Pace yourself, don't go overkill on lifting. Do an amount you feel comfortable with, and with your condition, call it good when your body tells you to.

[HOONIGAN]

The Fire Within
    Winning!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TehNotorious PSN ID: NOTORIOUS-ORTIZ

I grew pretty muscular my last year of high school, all from a one period weight class. There is no quick way. As I always tell everyone who asks these kinda questions its all about diet. And FYI YOUR best upper body workout is just doing pushups

^Thanks Renji for the awesome sig^

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    I grew pretty muscular my last year of high school, all from a one period weight class. There is no quick way. As I always tell everyone who asks these kinda questions its all about diet. And FYI YOUR best upper body workout is just doing pushups
    How many pushups can you do max, and how many do you do if you do 4-5 reps?

Stand em up
    Knock em down.

Badge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xRudyCrush Steam ID: rudyypoo

Pure weight lifting is probably the best for your arms. Just using dumbbells should get you the most muscle. Just make sure you're not "cheating"; meaning you're lifting them 100% correctly. A little trick I do for this, is to sit in a chair, and keep your arm against your leg while lifting the dumbbell. This way nothing but your arm is doing the work.

If you don't play sports daily, or if you don't do something every day or two to keep your muscles up, then you want to start off with weights, that you can do easily. By easily I mean not enough to stress your arms after the first day to the point where it hurts to pick things up, or even move it.

Eating right is also a huge part, and probably the most important. If you eat fast food every day, you're not gaining as much muscle as you could. You need to eat healthy while you plan on gaining muscle. It speeds up the work for you. Make sure you don't eat too much, and you don't eat McDonalds too often.

Using a treadmill to start is a really good idea, even better after a good stretch. It helps to get your body going, and warmed up and ready. It's nice to break a sweat on their before moving to the hard stuff.

Don't work on the same thing every time you go. When I go to the gym(Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays), I do different things each time.

On Mondays, I like to work my arms. Tuesdays for my legs. Then Fridays for my core. It's always good to drink enough water, but not too much while exercising and weight lifting.

If you keep at it, you should see results within a month or so, maybe shorter.

Hope this helped in any way.

115 expert
    CoD Annihilator

Badge

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevenator64 PSN ID: stevenator64 Wii Code: Cpt.Glitch

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptianGlitch?feature=watch

Treadmill is good for stamina. I can stay on for an hour or more. But start out low and go longer each time when your ready to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kori
    torrents are gay. Free is where it's at.
    LMPT Creations

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by RudyCrush View Post
    Pure weight lifting is probably the best for your arms. Just using dumbbells should get you the most muscle. Just make sure you're not "cheating"; meaning you're lifting them 100% correctly. A little trick I do for this, is to sit in a chair, and keep your arm against your leg while lifting the dumbbell. This way nothing but your arm is doing the work.

If you don't play sports daily, or if you don't do something every day or two to keep your muscles up, then you want to start off with weights, that you can do easily. By easily I mean not enough to stress your arms after the first day to the point where it hurts to pick things up, or even move it.

Eating right is also a huge part, and probably the most important. If you eat fast food every day, you're not gaining as much muscle as you could. You need to eat healthy while you plan on gaining muscle. It speeds up the work for you. Make sure you don't eat too much, and you don't eat McDonalds too often.

Using a treadmill to start is a really good idea, even better after a good stretch. It helps to get your body going, and warmed up and ready. It's nice to break a sweat on their before moving to the hard stuff.

Don't work on the same thing every time you go. When I go to the gym(Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays), I do different things each time.

On Mondays, I like to work my arms. Tuesdays for my legs. Then Fridays for my core. It's always good to drink enough water, but not too much while exercising and weight lifting.

If you keep at it, you should see results within a month or so, maybe shorter.

Hope this helped in any way.
    Alright, I'll start doing that.
    I didn't know that you are allowed to put your arms on your legs when using dumbbells.

I also heard that chicken also contains good fats, so I don't think it's bad to eat (a lot) some of that, right?

Also if you don't feel any myalgia the next day and you feel pretty good should you still go to the gym or not?

Quote Originally Posted by stevenator64 View Post
    Treadmill is good for stamina. I can stay on for an hour or more. But start out low and go longer each time when your ready to.
    How long and how many km/h?
    I do 15 minutes, +-10km/h

Last edited by Charged Up; 03-01-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Stand em up
    Knock em down.

Badge

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by xTenza View Post
    Alright, I'll start doing that.
    I didn't know that you are allowed to put your arms on your legs when using dumbbells.

I also heard that chicken also contains good fats, so I don't think it's bad to eat (a lot) some of that, right?

Also if you don't feel any myalgia the next day and you feel pretty good should you still go to the gym or not?
    Don't put your arms on you legs, put it against them, like on the side. Just so your arm isn't shaking.

I eat a lot of chicken, i'm not really sure if it's good or bad, since it does have grease.

If you do a hard workout the day before, and you feel alright, i'd consider doing something not as hard, but still doing something isn't bad. Sometimes I just take breaks from the gym, and run 2 miles on our schools track after school.

Lifting isn't bad if you don't have myalgia, but you definitely don't want to lift as much as you did before, unless it was easy for you. You never know if it'll take another day to kick in with the pain.

Bad Company

Badge

Well there's a difference between looking muscular, and being muscular. Which one are you aiming for?

Quote Originally Posted by Iced View Post
    Red 58 = Swoot (Reincarnated)
    Quote Originally Posted by GOOBER View Post
    Terr0r you need a Gecko. Lets go to the Pet store and buy one
    Quote Originally Posted by ABlackGuy View Post
    He may not have a soul but he still has a brain. Unlike Russ who has neither.

Stand em up
    Knock em down.

Badge

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by RED 58 View Post
    Well there's a difference between looking muscular, and being muscular. Which one are you aiming for?
    Wouldn't looking muscular consist of being muscular?