Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
         User Info     Contact     Gamer ID
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Smirkz94 PSN ID: Smirkz- Steam ID: Unleashed2594

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Unleashed22594

Default Disney Closes Game Publisher LucasArts

A lot of us know this logo....in fact. That's how many of us met and if it wasn't for this company CL may never had existed.

A ton of us becoming friends through a silly little game right? No, it was much more than that.

This company gave us memories and nostalgia alike that i have never experienced before.

With that being said i regret to inform that Disney is closing LucasArts. The creators of the SWRS and SWES.

Here's what they had to say about it.

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games.

As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

"In some ways, the news is not a surprise. LucasArts had seemed directionless in recent years. The company's core business of games based on the Star Wars license have been largely disappointing in both quality and sales. While the company had some success with games like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and the Battlefront series, both of those franchises seemed to have died on the vine. The cancellation of Star Wars Battlefront III was particularly ugly, which led to nasty public fingerpointing between LucasArts and developer Free Radical. The BioWare developed MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic (which was co-published with EA) won strong reviews but failed to maintain subscribers, and was eventually forced into instituting a free-to-play business model.

LucasArt's other big franchise, Indiana Jones, has failed to make much of a dent in games in recent years, with the exception of Traveller's Tales LEGO Indiana Jones series that, once again, was not developed by LucasArts. Meanwhile, series like Uncharted and Tomb Raider, which are both heavily influenced by the Indiana Jones films, have thrived.

More recently, LucasArts caused a stir at E3 2012 with an impressive looking demo for a new Star Wars project entitled Star Wars 1313. However, in the months that followed, the project seemed to lose steam, and rumors circulated that the game had ceased production. [Update: Today, a LucasArts representative spoke to us about the future of Star Wars 1313]

The company seemed to have a revolving door of management. In 2004, LucasArts president Jim Ward led a massive restructuring of the company, laying off many development staffers in the process. Ward left in 2008, to be replaced by EA's Darrell Rodriguez, who lasted only two years at the head of the company. Rodriguez's position was ultimately filled by Epic Games' Paul Meegan, who then stepped down in 2012. The company was co-led by Kevin Parker and Gio Corsi until it was acquired by Disney.

During that time, LucasArts attempted to inject new life into its in-house development by bringing in respected industry vet Clint Hocking (who helped lead the Far Cry and Splinter Cell franchises at Ubisoft) in as its new creative director. Sadly, Hocking lasted only two years in the position and left without completing the game he had been working on.

The last game published by LucasArts as a company is the sub-par Kinect Star Wars.

Ironically, many of the games for which LucasArts is best remembered for are not Star Wars games. Its genre-defining '90s adventure games created by Ron Gilbert and DoubleFine's Tim Schafer like The Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and Grim Fandango are all still celebrated by fans to this day.

Our sympathies go out to those who have lost their jobs today."

Source

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Unleashed; 04-03-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: wieisjason

Damn, sad to hear this, but it's not like LucasArts made anything good in particular recently.
    SWBRS was probably the best online game experience I've ever had in any game.
    Never was interested in SWES because the 'engine' sucked balls in my opinion and was stiff as hell.

Anyway it's sad to hear this, but on the other hand I don't care too much about it.

Companies like this sadly aren't being recognized by the bigger gaming audience anymore, everyone is into CoD or BF3, if it's not that Skyrim or WoW, that's pretty much it.
    Not that there are any good, long lasting games being published anyway.

"Rank does not confer power or privilege, it imposes responsibility."

Claptrap Fan
    Automotive Aficionado

Badge

Seems like they gave LucasArts a big fuck you and locked them out. I'll be playing some Star Wars: Battlefront on my PC to remember the nostalgia that we all fell in love with.

Badge

I guess I might download SWTOR and just reminisce in the good ol' days

Collabo with my boi Artemis :3

($user_isGay == TRUE)? giveAids() : break; aids's Avatar

Badge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TheOriginalVirus

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/riottape Kik Username: aids gtalk account: codeleakers.com@gmail.com

came here to post this article. i officially dgaf anymore about lucas or star wars as they belong to fucking gaydisney now. Peace out lucasarts. we raped you hard. HARD.

BTC: 1AidsG8MHF4cEN6KpY1mhJPBhXtms65GVE

Wii Coder

Badge

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TERR0Rx9

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/HAXZingTERR0R

Fuck you Disney. All Disney does now is ruins good memories by making a horrible remake of a classic, puts old movies in 3D, and piss you off. Disney isn't what it used to be. They are money hungry now. Soon they will be just like Apple, putting the same shit out with a different name for extra profit.

The Fire Within
    Winning!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TehNotorious PSN ID: NOTORIOUS-ORTIZ

Lolol, look at it from a business perspective, its not being money hungry to cut out something that:

A. Isn't making profit
    B. Doesnt have great reception in the past few years
    C.costs money to upkeep

I know I'm Disney biased, and some of you are star wars biased, but honestly why lose money when you can just cut your losses

Its like buying a car that doesn't run but cost money to store somewhere, and can't be fixed. Why not just cut your losses and get rid of it??

As for Disney being like apple. I can't 100% dispute that. Disney is broken up into many many companies so while it may be true for some divisions, it isn't for others

^Thanks Renji for the awesome sig^

Does Not Exist
    Phantom
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: redshift70

Fuck, thats horrible. Iv'e always disliked disney anyways, but now i hate it that much more.

Swaggity Andy
    International Idiot

That is something that Disney would do. Not so surprised. With Disney right now, I would expect them to make all the Lego Star Wars games in 3-D so they'd get some pretty fast cash. Meh, their choice.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xSTR11K3Rx Steam ID: xSTRiiK3Rx

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/xSTRiiK3Rx/

Quote Originally Posted by ChumLee View Post
    Fuck you Disney. All Disney does now is ruins good memories by making a horrible remake of a classic, puts old movies in 3D, and piss you off. Disney isn't what it used to be. They are money hungry now. Soon they will be just like Apple, putting the same shit out with a different name for extra profit.

I would love to see you try to backup that claim. Disney do alot more than just recycle old films. But yes, people would like to see their classic films remastered in 3d, but not have to pay for a 3Dtv. The markets there. But they still make amazing titles like the avengers. The highest grossing superhero movie. And many more original films. A personal favorite is UP.

Its pretty biased and ignorant to compare companies without any evidence but a guess to what they want.

Name me one film series Disney has ruined by remaking. Because starwars 7 has not even came out yet if you are claiming they will ruin that. So you have no idea whats in store.

Last edited by Strike; 04-03-2013 at 02:03 PM.

^Ty goober^
    Quote Originally Posted by xX_BiGFooTT_Xx View Post
    compensate my cock faggot