Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Creator and Destroyer of Yaku
    U.T. the Ultra-Terrestrial
    A CL Original.
         User Info     Contact     Gamer ID

Default Is Time Cyclical?

Many peoples believed time is cyclical, not linear.

The most famous being the Mayans. They believed time is cyclical and we are doomed to encounter events again and again.

Some believe that every person will live their lives an infinite number of times, repeating all mistakes.

In the current era, we largely see time as being linear.

We may never understand time in it's entirety since our basis of time relies on human physics.

What are your thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    no_VIP__bitch

Yaku, maker and creator of the devil! Swine merchant, your time is near at hand. Fuck with me, and your time will be now. Your presence here affects the mind of my people like a fever. You, Yaku, are the bearer of 9,999 diseases: evil, corrupt, pork-chop-eating atrocities! -El Raheem

"God does not follow any particular religion nor does he promote any one of them.
    God is absolutely beyond religion."

"Omniism prevails in The Pursuars, the Brothers." -JMJ

I think time goes without end, following a linear track. Also, I think the Mayans were hella-advanced for their time. It's a shame Europe feared their mathematical and cultural superiority, eliminating them as a result.

I believe that people live infinite lives, but linearly. I believe in reincarnation, as the Hindus do. It just seems to me that there should be more purpose than can be found in cyclic repetition.

Playstation Portable Firmware: 5.50GEN-D3
    I've hacked 7 different PSPs for my friends. PM me if you need help with yours!
    Click here for an excellent MIPS Instruction Set for Beginner-Intermediate Coders.

Wow, Paultaters! The Avatar and Signature you hooked me up with really rock!

[09-01, 20:46] Estevan: who kows how to download nitepr?
    [09-01, 20:47] Ethan: I do
    [09-01, 20:47] Estevan: how?
    [09-01, 20:47] BillCurly335: Magic.
    [09-01, 20:48] BillCurly335: Let me get you a link.
    [09-01, 20:48] Scuzzy: /dl nitepr
    [09-01, 20:49] BillCurly335: /dl nitepr
    [09-01, 20:49] BillCurly335: Ahh, I thought it was a serious command... you win this round, Scuzzy... lol.
    [09-01, 20:49] Ethan: Lolfail
    [09-01, 20:49] Ethan: It should be though
    [09-01, 20:49] Ethan: Sly, add that command
    [09-01, 20:50] BillCurly335: LOL, I win/failed?
    [09-01, 20:50] Scuzzy: LOL

A CL Original.

I only have one problem with reincarnation. Population growth.

New souls among the souls since creation(assuming creation)? Or transferred from other planes?

Also, if time is linear then where is the beginning? If cyclical, does it exist at all? Or just a word to help humans cope with existance?

no_VIP__bitch

Yaku, maker and creator of the devil! Swine merchant, your time is near at hand. Fuck with me, and your time will be now. Your presence here affects the mind of my people like a fever. You, Yaku, are the bearer of 9,999 diseases: evil, corrupt, pork-chop-eating atrocities! -El Raheem

"God does not follow any particular religion nor does he promote any one of them.

Tipped OuT

I don't understand your usage of "time". Isn't "time" just a measurement?

A CL Original.

Indeed, time is, in fact, a measurement of time itself.

I refer to that which is being measured; not the measurement.

Good observation, Tipped.

no_VIP__bitch

Claptrap Fan
    Automotive Aficionado

Badge

Quote Originally Posted by BillCurly335 View Post
    I think time goes without end, following a linear track. Also, I think the Mayans were hella-advanced for their time. It's a shame Europe feared their mathematical and cultural superiority, eliminating them as a result.

I believe that people live infinite lives, but linearly. I believe in reincarnation, as the Hindus do. It just seems to me that there should be more purpose than can be found in cyclic repetition.
    I was leaning this way on looking at it too. Also Im glad to see this sections getting active again

[HOONIGAN]

A CL Original.

I had promised to get back on it. I was just preoccupied with something(refer to Cloudbursting).

Awaiting the greatest ever; better late then never. -Jus Allah

P.S. Anyone else could have started topics. I'm always interested in new shit.

no_VIP__bitch

SapientDust

I can't believe tipped already mentioned it, close within nature to what I believe..he hit close to home, as in my native blind faith.

basically, time to me is bullshit. (OMGorZ time is based on OUR planets Rotation around OUR Sun...which is so freaking generic) I wish you guys could have read some of our earlier discussions of time and infinity. James and I used to melt down and dissect/meditate all orthodox vernacular & assumtions that (in our opinion) required scrutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by A God. View Post
    I only have one problem with reincarnation. Population growth.

New souls among the souls since creation(assuming creation)? Or transferred from other planes?

Also, if time is linear then where is the beginning? If cyclical, does it exist at all? Or just a word to help humans cope with existance?
    Population growth was something that troubled me as well, but I have come to believe that there is a pool of sorts that souls are plucked from when needed to animate a new human body. It is similar to a hibernation of sorts, but you only awake when the need for your presence is there. I believe in reincarnation because where am I going after I die? I certainly do not believe in a heaven or a hell or a God because who could be so wrathful as to pick and choose who is eternally damned or eternally blissful?

Linear time-flow doesn't necessarily require a beginning. If time had a beginning, time would be a ray, and not a line. A line is a one-dimensional, 2 directional infinity. It goes on without end. In a coordinate plane, we would describe a line as maybe Y=2X or Y=(22/7)X. These equations are not limited in the domain of X, and they may employ the use of any real numbers when graphed. That means that I may use positive or negative 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 as an appropriate value for X if I choose. Lines don't have beginnings. Time doesn't have a beginning. It simply is.

EDIT: Line - A geometrical object that is (usually) straight, infinitely long and infinitely thin.
    The definition, I think, includes the word usually because a line on a Sphere would APPEAR curved to us.

Last edited by BillCurly335; 06-16-2010 at 03:45 AM.

Playstation Portable Firmware: 5.50GEN-D3
    I've hacked 7 different PSPs for my friends. PM me if you need help with yours!
    Click here for an excellent MIPS Instruction Set for Beginner-Intermediate Coders.

Wow, Paultaters! The Avatar and Signature you hooked me up with really rock!

[09-01, 20:46] Estevan: who kows how to download nitepr?
    [09-01, 20:47] Ethan: I do
    [09-01, 20:47] Estevan: how?
    [09-01, 20:47] BillCurly335: Magic.
    [09-01, 20:48] BillCurly335: Let me get you a link.
    [09-01, 20:48] Scuzzy: /dl nitepr
    [09-01, 20:49] BillCurly335: /dl nitepr
    [09-01, 20:49] BillCurly335: Ahh, I thought it was a serious command... you win this round, Scuzzy... lol.
    [09-01, 20:49] Ethan: Lolfail
    [09-01, 20:49] Ethan: It should be though
    [09-01, 20:49] Ethan: Sly, add that command
    [09-01, 20:50] BillCurly335: LOL, I win/failed?
    [09-01, 20:50] Scuzzy: LOL

A CL Original.

True, Bill. But the words linear and line outside of geometry do not always refer to the geometrical definitions.

For example, any linear construction(houses, satellite dishes, etc.). It depends on your perceptions in a world of definitions.

In your note, I am fairly certain they are referring to Spherical Geometry.

Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure that has no relation to reality. -Tesla

no_VIP__bitch