User Info     Contact     Gamer ID

Default Value for money?

So the laptop I'm looking to buy is around 500. But I was thinking, I rarely use my laptop outside of my room so whats the point in buying a laptop when i could get a PC.

I'd like to build my own computer and I'm wondering is it really that much cheaper compared to buying a laptop or a premade PC?

Also could someone give me a very rough estimate on price (building my own PC not a premade one with these specs).

-8gb ram
    -500GB HDD
    -All the laptops I was looking at were boasting: 2.50Ghz and 3.10GHz with turbo boost.. So something around there or above
    -window 7 (none of that windows 8 bull)
    -Don't know anything about graphic cards, but a pretty decent one for pc gaming.

I really wouldn't know alot about hardware or even building a PC, so I could use all the help you guys can give me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it.

Free bitcoin's referal link

Site BBcodes

Retired Prophet

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/kennethbgoodin

You could build a moderately powerful PC for that price. I could sell you my old CPU and motherboard from when I upgraded. The CPU is an FX 4100, runs stock at 3.6GHz and can easily be overclocked to 4.6GHz with no voltage changes (originally about $110). The mobo is a GA-990XA-UD3, great motherboard, tons of features, and handles the CPU well (originally about $150). I'd sell for them relatively cheap, considering I don't use them anymore. I've got a case too, if you want it. The CPU and mobo are already in it, and I've got a cooler for the CPU that will keep it from ever getting hot even with the overclock.

You'd still need a power supply (you can get a 600w for about $70 new), ram (8GB will set you back another $70, give or take), a graphics card (price depends on what you want), and a hard drive ($60 for a 500GB). A dvd drive possibly ($20), but you could use a flashdrive to install Windows (which i personally wouldn't buy). Oh and a monitor (a 1080p 21.5 inch one can be obtained from Asus for about $120).

Last edited by ToxicJew.; 07-04-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

That would be really decent of you to sell the CPU and motherboard to me. So before some other fool trys to get them off you, may you keep them for me please.

What do you mean you wouldn't buy windows 7? Do you mean you would obtain it for free or that you wouldn't use it? I've tried ubunto as an OS and much prefer windows 7, but if its going to cost a bucket load ill just stick with a free os.

So this could potentially be the same price as the laptop(500) but i'll be getting alot more for my money..

There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it.

Free bitcoin's referal link

Site BBcodes

Retired Prophet

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/kennethbgoodin

I meant I would just torrent it, since you're on a budget. I have something to run to activate it. Not that I endorse piracy.

No one's planning on buying them, I upgraded months ago. But yeah i'll sell you the CPU, mobo, and case if you want it (it's this one), for a lot cheaper than what they retail for. So yes, you'll be getting more for your money than a 500 laptop, but these parts were a little more expensive at the time. Typically building one costs a little bit more when you include the monitor and stuff, but you do get more for your money. You also have to remember that you'll need a mouse and keyboard if you don't have either.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

#HitlerDidNothingWrong
    ⌘Flying Dutchman⌘

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: baktiar77 Wii Code: baktiar77

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/77baktiar

I think this pretty solid for your budget. Total: 448.60. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1dm8P (Buying Locations and prices all included in that site)

CPU:
    Intel Pentium G870 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor -56.72

CPU Cooler:
    Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler -23.50

Motherboard:
    ASRock H61M-GE Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard -55.99

Memory:
    2 X Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory -40.06

Storage:
    Toshiba 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive -42.99

Video Card:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7790 2GB Video Card -123.32

Case:
    Cooler Master Elite 335 Upgraded ATX Mid Tower Case -31.60

Power Supply:
    Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply -58.47

Optical Drive:
    Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer -15.95
    I assume you'll need a monitor, sound card and either a wired or wireless network adapter. The graphics card could be changed into something to something cheaper but it's all up to you. I've also realise that the 600W power supply isn't really needed, you could get a 430W for 15 pounds cheaper.

Last edited by Baktiar; 07-04-2013 at 03:11 PM.