#TeamJennifer
    ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل
         User Info     Contact     Gamer ID
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrSlowski- Steam ID: MrSlowski

Default Time for a Decision

Okay so lately I had my game face on. It's crunch time, and I don't mess around with this shit. I have come to my first big decision, and I need as much help/info/guidance as I can because there is no going back after this.
    Most of you know I'm planning, and have been since 7 years ago, to join the military. Well now I have to make a decision, it's my senior year, and I want in as soon as this year ends. Unfortunately I am torn. 7 years ago if you asked me, I'd say Navy, after some serious re-thinking I've decided that I do not want to live my life on a boat. After that it was Army, it's something most of my moms side of the family has been in (Grandpa, Uncle, Sister, countless cousins), and it is definitely one of my top choices. After talking to my dad about the subject of me joining (he did not know I was serious when I've been saying it for the past 7 years, he thought it was a phase), he's all for it, but he doesn't think the Army is the way. His side of the family also has a strong background in military, for example his dad (my grandpa) was in for over 30 years and served in every single branch. He tells me that his first choice is Airforce, followed by Marines, Navy, and then Army. (excluded coast guard, but says they would be after Airforce). His choices were ranked by pay, living quarters, and overall accommodations. They both agree that Army is the lowest one, and has the worst living conditions, food, etc. Being my family, they obviously want me to be as well off as possible.
    Because of them, I now have no idea what I want, and it's extremely stressful.
    All I ask is that you post any history/knowledge/experiences you have had on any branch (preferably Army, Marines, Airforce, but any response is helpful). I'm going to be speaking to more recruiters soon, and I want to know if they are just blowing smoke up my ass (usually do anyways), or if they are being honest.
    So anything you know or have experienced. Thanks guys, this is a huge decision and I really want to be as informed as I can be before making anything set in stone. Now I understand this site isn't exactly the best to go to, having a young crowd, but I'm sure people know people, have family etc. they might ask.

Now to be clear, I don't want anything you've pulled off of google, I could do that. I want personal experiences.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    tranny^

Go airforce because of fucking jets, holy shit, how could this not make the decision easier.

By the way, have you been in JROTC at school? Make things simpler when joining.

Claptrap Fan
    Automotive Aficionado

Badge

Seeing a couple of my friends and my brother all went through the National Guard, my first recommendation would be such. My brother once said the food could have been better, but it's not bad (this was 2007), and another friend seems to actually recommend going through them as well. Not sure what specifically drove them to that branch, but it all really boils down to what you want to do during your tenure in the service. Are you wanting to get right in the action and blow things up? Do you think you would be better off being a vehicle technician? In the end, it all comes down to what you really want to do in the military.

There were always recruiters for the Airforce at my school a few years ago. One of the guys always seemed to sugarcoat everything he ever said about it, though.

[HOONIGAN]

#TeamJennifer
    ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrSlowski- Steam ID: MrSlowski

Quote Originally Posted by fear_bot View Post
    By the way, have you been in JROTC at school? Make things simpler when joining.
    No, I haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Icee View Post
    Seeing a couple of my friends and my brother all went through the National Guard, my first recommendation would be such. My brother once said the food could have been better, but it's not bad (this was 2007), and another friend seems to actually recommend going through them as well. Not sure what specifically drove them to that branch, but it all really boils down to what you want to do during your tenure in the service. Are you wanting to get right in the action and blow things up? Do you think you would be better off being a vehicle technician? In the end, it all comes down to what you really want to do in the military.

There were always recruiters for the Airforce at my school a few years ago. One of the guys always seemed to sugarcoat everything he ever said about it, though.
    Yeah, and that's to be expected with most recruiters, that's why I wanted personal experiences and such. As for what I want to do, that's all up to my ASVAB. I took the pre-asvab not too long ago and scored pretty well, but of course I'd like to do better. The better I do, the more jobs are available. I'm leaning towards an engineering field, but I need college experience (pretty sure), which is not something my family can afford/saved for. (was my main thing for joining, free college)

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    tranny^

A Real Nigga
    Dr. Sniff Smellington

Badge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BUTTLlCKER

My dad is a former Navy SEAL (he quit when I was in 2nd grade), and he's wanted me to be in the Navy for a long time, even thought I'm not interested in going into the military. I have the same view of living on a boat as you do, but he has told me that his time in the Navy was the best of his life. I say go into the Navy.

smeller