this is a repost of a reply i made, im not sure people will read the other thread so here it is again.

the problem seems to be that once you make a character and try to get online and it fails that character becomes "glitched" and will always be glitched no matter what apparantly.

also, ps3 users had an additional problem where the PSN servers were limiting the amount of simultaneous connections. that issue appears to be resolved as of yesterday.

the workaround is to start completely fresh and try try try to get in. after waiting nearly 3 days i was able to get in using this method. this has been confirmed working by multiple sources. if the patch doesnt correct the issue then try the following steps to get online.

if at any time you quit the waiting process you may have to start over. using this method i was able to finally get past the blurred skyline screen and to the screen where my character and others are just standing there in the parking lot like idiots. if you get to this screen, DO NOT QUIT, you are in, it just takes a while. i waited around 25-30 minutes to finally load. then i selected my car and had to wait another 5-10 for the race to load. once the race was finished it made us wait for the map to load, maybe around another 20 minutes.

ONCE YOU ARE IN DO NOT QUIT NO MATTER WHAT. even after all this there is a chance your character may not save. GOOD LUCK!

1. DELETE YOUR ONLINE CHARACTER/ ALL ONLINE CHARACTERS

2. QUIT GAME

3. goto GAME DATA UTILITY and DELETE the GTA5 1.01 UPDATE

4. LAUNCH GTA5 / NEW UPDATE FILE WILL DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL

5. GOTO PAUSE MENU, SELECT CHARACTER CREATION

6. CREATE NEW CHARACTER

7. FINISH CHARACTER THEN GTAO LAUNCHES

8. DO NOT LEAVE ONCE YOU ARE AT THE SCREEN WHERE PEOPLE ARE JUST STANDING THERE, THE GAME WILL EVENTUALLY LOAD.

9. JOIN THE VIRAL LOAD CREW

10. CALL AIDS OR PEEP ON SAIL FOAM

11. COMMIT CRIME

12. PROFIT