Claptrap Fan
    Automotive Aficionado

Badge

User Info     Contact     Gamer ID

Default [GTAO] How To Snipe Tank Drivers

Credits go to Omnifarious for this tutorial.
    Source: http://gtaforums.com/topic/649399-th...ing-explained/

So, I finally figured out how to snipe people out of their tanks. No, it's not about finding that super sweet secret thermal exhaust port. It's about distance. "Distance?" I hear you chime in with swiftly. Yes, distance my dear. This not only applies to tanks, but PVs (Player Vehicles) as well.

So what do I mean with all this distance nonsense? Beyond a certain point, (Around .20th of a mile from my personal experience) is the point at which the model of a PV, such as a car, or tank, will render, but for some reason, won't have a hit box of its own. "OOohhhh!" I hear you say. Yes, that's how it's done. Beyond this distance, it doesn't matter, .20 of a mile, .70 of a mile, and (in my farthest reaching test) 1.2 miles away, doesn't matter.

Try it yourself with a friend, get a tank, (Whether it be from Fort Zancudo, or a personal tank) and have your friend sit in the tank at a place around .20-.70 of a mile away from wherever it is you're going to snipe from. For this test, I chose the Richard's Majestic Hotel heli pad. (See picture below.)

From the south east corner of the Richard's Majestic Hotel, to this bridge, (as shown below) is about .20m away. You can just barely make out the car that is circled. (I shot a guy out of that through the upper left of the roof.) This is a great testing point for your tank sniping practice. It's very level, open, and you have a clear view of the tank/car you're practicing on.

The trick to a mile + shot, is simply looking for the health bar. Even though they're out of render distance, (people stop rendering after something stupidly small like 100 meters away.) their car they're in will still render even a mile away, albeit, very glitchily in some cases. (low res textures, jumping around, etc) Your greatest friend here, is hitscan. Every gun in the game is hitscan, even your sniper rifle is hitscan. What does this mean you ask? It means that you don't have to take ANYTHING into account; not distance, not velocity, not even the wind, NOTHING. You fire, and it hits ...instantly.

The easiest way to sniper targets at long range, is to simply leave your cross-hairs at a location in front of your traveling target, and fire when they drive through your cross-hairs.

Now remember, if you can see the health bar, then you can hit them, doesn't matter if they have their back to you, or their side. Your bullet will bypass the WHOLE car/tank, and hit the player inside. (The health bar isn't required, but just helps you find where their body/head is inside the tank.)

For some reason, even though the player model doesn't render at that distance, their hit box still does. Where as the vehicle's model renders, but has no hit box. Rockstar logic, lol. Not to mention, it seems to be MUCH easier to hit people at long range, almost as if your bullet is as big as your cross-hair's dot in the center. (At longer ranges, the dot can take up the whole driver side window of a car.

I hope this helped! I've already sniped 3 tanks, and a few passing cars on the freeway this way.

Edit 1: "To figure out the distance between two objects, simply set a waypoint from one to the other, and get into a car. It will tell you the distance between you and the other location in the lower right hand corner of the radar."

Edit 2: "I can confirm, that at close range, (below .20th of a mile) that the back left vent of the tank, is a weak point. What I mean by this, is that you can use this to snipe the driver out of his tank, just like a normal car window. Just wait for him to turn away from you, and pretend like you're sniping someone out of their car via the back left window. I have killed 4 tank drivers like this. One was right in front of me, almost touching me he was so close, so it most definitely works at close range lol."

"I haven't tested out the normal sniper rifle, but the heavy sniper most definitely can fire straight through the vent and into the operator's cabin. So I guess, the tank really does have a super weak thermal exhaust port, lol."

Edit 3: "After extensive testing, I can confirm that it's not only a specific point on the rear left venting, but it is in fact the ENTIRETY of the rear armor's grated venting that's weak to the heavy sniper's rounds. I tired from many different angles. As long as you have a straight angle through the rear vents, to the operator's seat, then you can kill the operator, regardless of distance. (At least, in my previous testing, just had a few tanks that I couldn't snipe from the back end today at close range. So perhaps they've patched it, or it was just dumb luck... oooorrrr a few God mode'ers.)"

Again, I take zero credit for this. I know a few people were asking about it, so here it is.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Icee; 01-24-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    [HOONIGAN]

Badge

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SIG Zyu PSN ID: Phru

Thanks for this. Never knew this. Going to troll my buddies with this.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom89 View Post
    If your all getting is "Palmela Handerson" then you seriously need to go out and talk to real girls.. At least try to get some real live Poon Tang

Claptrap Fan
    Automotive Aficionado

Badge

Quote Originally Posted by Kori View Post
    Thanks for this. Never knew this. Going to troll my buddies with this.
    I've been trying to get in a bad sport lobby to record myself sniping a few people. (that way tanks are found more often) I had one guy freak the hell out when I got a headshot kill. His mic became static when he was yelling. Got even louder when I shot him again as he tried to get back in it. Mic went from loud to silent, tank disappeared, the news feed on the left showed that he quit. It's an epic tactic to counter tanks for sure, just have to get a nice vantage point.

[HOONIGAN]

115 expert
    CoD Annihilator

Badge

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevenator64 PSN ID: stevenator64 Wii Code: Cpt.Glitch

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptianGlitch?feature=watch

I loled doing this. Thanks icee

Quote Originally Posted by Kori
    torrents are gay. Free is where it's at.
    LMPT Creations

Las Vegas 702
    Lakers 4 Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Icee View Post
    I've been trying to get in a bad sport lobby to record myself sniping a few people. (that way tanks are found more often) I had one guy freak the hell out when I got a headshot kill. His mic became static when he was yelling. Got even louder when I shot him again as he tried to get back in it. Mic went from loud to silent, tank disappeared, the news feed on the left showed that he quit. It's an epic tactic to counter tanks for sure, just have to get a nice vantage point.
    This actually works against Helicopters too man. Tested it on a friend today. The possibilities are endless if you think about it...

Claptrap Fan
    Automotive Aficionado

Badge

Quote Originally Posted by volcom89 View Post
    This actually works against Helicopters too man. Tested it on a friend today. The possibilities are endless if you think about it...
    Works on most any car, actually. Comes in handy if you're scoping out a buzzard or someone driving in reverse with the Entity.

[HOONIGAN]

Las Vegas 702
    Lakers 4 Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Icee View Post
    Works on most any car, actually. Comes in handy if you're scoping out a buzzard or someone driving in reverse with the Entity.
    Lol yea good luck catching someone in a shamal or a P-996. Dude I would laugh my ass if you sniped someone in a jumbo plane.. I bet they would leave the game instantly...