Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Evolved Modder
    Living Liek Larry
    Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.
         User Info     Contact     Gamer ID
    Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: L33T_T0ny Steam ID: ToNy Wii Code: L33T_T0ny

Default Is engineering a viable option?

Im going to try to not babble and keep things short, I recently have been considering what i want to do with my life and engineering is towards the top of my "that sounds pretty cool i guess" list

Math and science have always come easy to me, hell i got a 98 on my midterm last week and half the class failed (without studying btw), and I have always enjoyed "inventing" things and taking stuff apart and putting them back together

I have always scored highly in state testing (i was scored higher than 99% of students in my state last year according to the letter i got) but i have always been a b and c student, my lack of work ethic is mainly why.

I never have studied longer than half an hour for a test, which if i do, is last minute. i have not done a single homework on time. I either just dont do it or do it on the buss.

This is a huge problem, but like i said i test well so I dont fail; Engineering from what i hear requires you to study hours each night, and while im sure i could change my ways im not sure that would turn out well and i dont want to chance it with how expensive it is to get a decent education.

I guess what im asking is if anyone who has gone to college for engineering or knows someone who has can share some input on what is expected, and maybe even share there experiences

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

A Real Nigga
    Dr. Sniff Smellington

Badge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BUTTLlCKER

You probably won't get into a decent engineering program with those grades, but you can always try. If you're good at math, I say go for it.

smeller

Badge

Engineering is honestly lots and lots of math throughout most of your college life. It's a lot of studying indeed cause (from what I heard), it's a lot of work you have to do. Just very high levels of math and studying.

I'm majoring in the Medical Field so what do I know?

Collabo with my boi Artemis :3

Bad Company

Badge

It depends on the degree. For example I'm going for EE (Electrical Engineer) which is supposedly very difficult for most people. Also engineer isnt very specific, what kind of engineer? What kind of stuff do you enjoy doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Iced View Post
    Red 58 = Swoot (Reincarnated)
    Quote Originally Posted by GOOBER View Post
    Terr0r you need a Gecko. Lets go to the Pet store and buy one
    Quote Originally Posted by ABlackGuy View Post
    He may not have a soul but he still has a brain. Unlike Russ who has neither.

Badge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: X_-ABlackGuy-_X

Just make lots of wind powered windmills.

Evolved Modder
    Living Liek Larry
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: L33T_T0ny Steam ID: ToNy Wii Code: L33T_T0ny

Quote Originally Posted by RED 58 View Post
    It depends on the degree. For example I'm going for EE (Electrical Engineer) which is supposedly very difficult for most people. Also engineer isnt very specific, what kind of engineer? What kind of stuff do you enjoy doing?
    well i feel silly for not including that lol, im looking into computer engineering or mechanical engineering

and @josh what part of the medical feild are you going into? i was concidering becoming a nurse but they are not exactly high in demand

#TeamJennifer
    ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrSlowski- Steam ID: MrSlowski

Engineering is what I do/have done for my last 4 years of high school. It's always math related, but it's a great field and always has high paying jobs.
    Take Physics when you're given the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    tranny^

Wii U Section Moderator
    Computer Engineer

Badge

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: MrOwnership Wii Code: MrOwnership

From someone who has been studying computer engineering for the past couple years, it is without a doubt a ton of work. I typically do at least 2-3 hours of work each weekday and 3-6 hours on the weekend. You will not get by waiting until the last minute to complete HW or projects, it might work for the first couple semesters but after that it won't. I have had projects that have taken me well over 50 hours and a multi-thousand line assembly project that took over my spring break last year which ended up taking around 100 hours to complete. If you absolutely know you can change your work ethics then I say go for it. Computer engineering is a very desirable field now a days.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Engineering is a great field! Like stated before though, it requires a good bit of math. Yes, you seem to be learning the math; but here's the question, will you remember the info 3 or 4 years from now? Knowing the information and actually learning it is different.
    You say you're an C - A student, that will hurt you; but if you start getting into more "engineering" clubs or internships in the field you choose and start becoming active with all that and really get to know the software you use (like my school uses AutoDesk software in my Drafting classes). Just become active in that field so colleges can see you're coming in knowing more about your area then just classes and see that you've taken the initiative to shadow people in that area and get some experience.
    They do look at more than just grades, but those grades will definitely affect their decision, it would help if they were honors and AP though.

Great field and I know you can do it with determination and hard work! Just need to really study and work hard. I'm sure there's many online courses that will allow you to work at your own pace and go through their curriculum and so on.
    I haven't looked through the list yet, but here's a good place (IMO) to get some pretty cool classes and you can work how you wish.
    https://www.coursera.org/courses?cats=ee

Hope that helps you some! Good luck!

Nintendo Section Moderator PvtRyan's Avatar

Badge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gamer_pvtryan Steam ID: pvtryan_cl Wii Code: PvtRyan

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/xPvtRyanx

Tony let me just start by saying, my college major will be engineering, engineering I don't believe takes hours of studies, depending on your course, I'm going for robotics and electronics engineering where I would be making robots, programming them, and also be making electronic appliances, I know it is a lot of work but since I'm in a technical school, I am take 4 college courses already that are honestly not that hard at all. I wish you luck tony, and if you are interested in electronics engineering, PM and I'll give you the basics of AC/DC, Digital, and Solid State.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

PS4 Profile: