~ Hyrule's Savior ~
         User Info     Contact     Gamer ID

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.YouTube.Com/ReTrOSlink

Default GameCube Controls Dominate: Sold Out

"Not a single store in Georgia has any," a local GameStop employee told me over the phone as I called about looking for the GameCube controller released with Super Smash Bros. Wii U. That's explains why the cheapest one on Amazon is $89.99, and why eBay prices are going through the roof.

Wii U gamepad be damned, as soon as Nintendo announced a $19.99 peripheral that would allow classic GameCube controllers to be used on its latest console, it became the way to play the way to play Super Smash Bros. Wii U. As reader Jon, who tipped us off to the scarcity of the adapters, writes: "Honestly, who's going to play with the gamepad? Who's going to force their friends to play with wiimotes when they come over?"1

Not a lot of people it seems, as while there are plenty of copies of Super Smash Bros. Wii U available for purchase, not local retailer I contacted had the adapter available for purchase. Gamestop.com is out. Walmart.com is out. Amazon.com has a few available, but from third-party sellers inflating the price due to scarcity. As I wrote this article, someone bought one of the four available for $118.

eBay sellers are having a field day as well, selling the $19 adapter for $50 to $75 or more, with prices steadily rising. Japanese importers are selling at slightly lower prices, but shipping times are rather lengthy. The $99 Smash Bros. Wii U controller bundle is seeing similar price spikes.

Some retailers retain purchaseable listings for the adapter and/or bundle with extended shipping times, suggesting further shipments are on the way. Frys will accept orders for the GameCube adapter for the normal price of $19.99 today, but units are not expected to ship until December. Walmart's listing for the bundle suggests it can be purchased today, arriving on Wednesday with expedited shipping, though no local store pickup is available until next Friday.

My local GameStop suggested I call back next week, as they might be expecting a small shipment. So there's hope just not for the game's first big weekend.

I reached out to Nintendo for a statement on GameCube adapter availability, and will update this post should I hear back.

Source: http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-gamecub...s-g-1662162871

I will be quite honest with you, I tried getting myself an adapter on Black Friday, and I couldn't find a single one near my area. This is ridiculous, I heard though that Nintendo is still manufacturing more adapters though. Will keep y'all updated when more get shipped out and hit the shelves.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    #gamedevelopment

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: PeerPressure_

This makes sense because of super smash bros and such. its the way to go. gc controller > all

~ Hyrule's Savior ~

Contact info:

Quote Originally Posted by MerkShot View Post
    This makes sense because of super smash bros and such. its the way to go. gc controller > all
    I know, right! First time i played Smash Wii U was with the Game Pad, and I sucked. I had to switch to using my 3DS as a controller! I need an adapter :/

#gamedevelopment

Art Corner Moderator MejaiDesigns's Avatar

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/ApexDesignsCL

The game cube controller in my opinion has the be one of the best controllers ever so this doesn't surprise me.

Whirling Death
    #LeagueOfDraven
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xCactusx

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    I know, right! First time i played Smash Wii U was with the Game Pad, and I sucked. I had to switch to using my 3DS as a controller! I need an adapter :/
    Lolwat, I was terrible when I played on 3ds, idk how anyone manages to play on it honestly. I've found myself enjoying the Gamepad, Wii U Pro controller, and Wiimote (though I used Wiimote on Brawl so it was a pretty easy transition). Definitely hoping that more adapters get shipped out, I want one but I refuse to pay $80 just to use my Gamecube controllers.

A Real Nigga
    Dr. Sniff Smellington

Badge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BUTTLlCKER

Me and a few of my friends are experiencing this. We've been trying to find this adapter for a week now.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    smeller

Someone just buy one and take it apart.

The dual USB is because it requires more that just 3.5~5v standard that one USB supplies.

Probably just a 5$ build, given you can get the Gamecube controller ports. (Steal them from your Wii that collects dust, it will not break your Wii FYI)

~ Hyrule's Savior ~

Contact info:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    Lolwat, I was terrible when I played on 3ds, idk how anyone manages to play on it honestly. I've found myself enjoying the Gamepad, Wii U Pro controller, and Wiimote (though I used Wiimote on Brawl so it was a pretty easy transition). Definitely hoping that more adapters get shipped out, I want one but I refuse to pay $80 just to use my Gamecube controllers.
    Meh, I just got use to the 3ds controls before the release of the Wii U version. I'm use to the GamePad now.

#gamedevelopment

Breathe Carolina <3
    Former GFX'er

Quote Originally Posted by MerkShot View Post
    That's some shitty insight Nintendo had to not make enough adapters to meet demand.

epicly memed