Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Evolved Modder
    Living Liek Larry
    Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.
         User Info     Contact     Gamer ID
    Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: L33T_T0ny Steam ID: ToNy Wii Code: L33T_T0ny

Default Anti-Depressants?

I have always struggled with constant depression and anxiety, but for the past couple months its gotten to the point were I think I need to seek treatment.

I have always been weary of Anti-depressants because i am afraid it will change my personality. I dont know much about anti-depressants, so i doubt that is a legitimate concern but I thought my best bet would to ask if anyone has a history with them and if they helped, or if they have any negative effects.

Thanks in advanced.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Badge

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xVO1Dx Wii Code: ?VO1D?

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcw94QTGPyNP01t9wQo512Q/feed Kik Username: NinjaMaster64

Do not take anti depressants. From a scientific viewpoint, they are not worth it unless you are constantly on them. What they do is act as an artificial dopamine that makes you happy. When this effect wears off, it causes the channels for dopamine to flow through adjust to the artificial dopamine which slowly begins to limit the amount of real dopamine to flow through. So basically you'll feel more depressed in the long run if you take them. I suggest not to but that is just my opinion. Sorry to hear about this man. Hope you feel better

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcw...yNP01t9wQo512Q

http://pastebin.com/bUTWiTEY
    Last Updated on: June 26, 2015

Breathe Carolina <3
    Former GFX'er

Ask your psychiatrist, not CL.

epicly memed

Desu Development
    Pomf pomf :3
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hexpresso PSN ID: WideDongWeary Steam ID: twitchhexpresso

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/ Kik Username: Wownicehack

Honestly depression is kind of just something you deal with. I've been able to handle mine without the help of anything entering my body(aside from dicks in my ass). Maybe mine's more mild, but I feel like genuine shit sometimes and can't explain why. I think that's basically depression, is it not?

Either way I think finding a hobby or something you're passionate about helps a lot.

geadszf1231qewrg

Evolved Modder
    Living Liek Larry
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: L33T_T0ny Steam ID: ToNy Wii Code: L33T_T0ny

Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrime View Post
    Ask your psychiatrist, not CL.
    Well i wasnt asking anyone for a diagnoses or a prescription i was asking if anyone has a history with the meds

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Breathe Carolina <3
    Former GFX'er

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Well i wasnt asking anyone for a diagnoses or a prescription i was asking if anyone has a history with the meds
    Not everyone reacts the same to the same treatment.

epicly memed

Retired Prophet

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/kennethbgoodin

Finding intrinsic reasons to fight your depression will help a lot more. I've went through it for years, and although I've never taken anti-depressants, I have used various drugs as a coping mechanism, and it's not helpful in the long run.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicJew. View Post
    Finding intrinsic reasons to fight your depression will help a lot more. I've went through it for years, and although I've never taken anti-depressants, I have used various drugs as a coping mechanism, and it's not helpful in the long run.
    I've also used recreational drugs experimentally in an attempt to curb the ADHD and OCD (dermatillomania) I've had since childhood and the depression and anxiety that have been worsening within me since I was about 17 years old, but like ToxicJew said, none of the relief is permanent, and frequently, you feel much worse afterwards.

I'm currently on a medication cocktail of sorts (Adderall, Fluvoxamine, Celexa, Atarax) that helps me to cope with each of these issues. The relief isn't full, but it does help if you really need it. It's important the remember that the drugs aren't a wheelchair. They're more like a crutch; without a doubt, you do require their support, but they aren't going to do all of the work for you.

It's important to remember that it's not some miracle, though. You pay a little bit of yourself to the medications in order to experience the lift in mood. For me, there is (ironically) an increase in apathy and contextual emotional detachment, but I feel tons BETTER, and all of the truly crippling effects of major depression are alleviated greatly. Weigh the pros and cons for yourself, and maintain a crucially introspective attitude while under the effects of the medications. Never lose track of who you are, and if you're becoming someone you don't like while under their influence, find something different.

Like TrueCrime said, all drugs (especially those which are psychoactive) have varying effects on those who take them, but he's also being a dick about it. In general, relief is the goal and result. You may have to try a few different things over a period of months before you find what's right for you. It will still feel like you're working slightly uphill most days of your life, but it will be more level traveling - not brutally steep and seemingly insurmountable.

Furthermore, if you're experiencing suicidal ideation, you need to speak with someone about it. You won't be committed unless you have a plan set in place, and you're going to off yourself. That being said, I was committed once following a panic attack, and it's not nearly as bad as most people think. Of course, confidentiality isn't forgotten, and you can leave without anyone in your life knowing about it that you didn't tell explicitly yourself, assuming it wasn't an ER trip where your parents/SO were/was called and they cried while thinking you were gonna die. And I promise, you don't want that.

tl;dr - If you're considering trying psychoactive medications to alter your mood (within the scope of clinical intent, not high seeking) speak to a professional and just get started. Mentally healthy people don't believe that they're mentally unhealthy. While this may result in your condition being pinpointed as simple hypochondria or something entirely outside the scope of your original suspicions, it's good to make that progress and to know/learn about your condition(s) and how to live with it(them) appropriately.

PS: Best of luck, man. You don't know me, but my best wishes go out to you. I'll edit this post or reply, whichever seems more appropriate at the time.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by BillCurly335; 02-03-2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Oh God, some of these typos confirm me as being legitimately retarded.

Playstation Portable Firmware: 5.50GEN-D3
    I've hacked 7 different PSPs for my friends. PM me if you need help with yours!
    Click here for an excellent MIPS Instruction Set for Beginner-Intermediate Coders.

Wow, Paultaters! The Avatar and Signature you hooked me up with really rock!

[09-01, 20:46] Estevan: who kows how to download nitepr?
    [09-01, 20:47] Ethan: I do
    [09-01, 20:47] Estevan: how?
    [09-01, 20:47] BillCurly335: Magic.
    [09-01, 20:48] BillCurly335: Let me get you a link.
    [09-01, 20:48] Scuzzy: /dl nitepr
    [09-01, 20:49] BillCurly335: /dl nitepr
    [09-01, 20:49] BillCurly335: Ahh, I thought it was a serious command... you win this round, Scuzzy... lol.
    [09-01, 20:49] Ethan: Lolfail
    [09-01, 20:49] Ethan: It should be though
    [09-01, 20:49] Ethan: Sly, add that command
    [09-01, 20:50] BillCurly335: LOL, I win/failed?
    [09-01, 20:50] Scuzzy: LOL

Claptrap Fan
    Automotive Aficionado

Badge

To tack on to what Bill posted, try a different change in hobby. Seeking a therapist is always a good option, too. No shame in asking for help coping with it. Been there, done that.

[HOONIGAN]

Retired Prophet

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/kennethbgoodin

Quote Originally Posted by BillCurly335 View Post
    I'm currently on a medication cocktail of sorts (Adderall, Fluvoxamine, Celexa, Atarax) that helps me to cope with each of these issues..
    Careful with adderall. I use it for studying/coding occasionally but it's not something I'd depend on daily.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้