I'ma Fuckin Scalie

User Info     Contact     Gamer ID
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XEFDragon Steam ID: SketchyDragon

Default music productin tips

so just for shits and kicks, i'm gonna give a few tips on music production and stuff.

i will admit i'm a bit drunk atm so if things don't make much sense that's why.

when designing sounds, keep in mind the frequency range of the sound you're wanting to make. for example, if it's a growling noise or realy mouthy sounding synth focus on the mids and the vocal/formant characteristics of the sound. think of what gives a mouthy/growling sound the characteristic of being one. like. what does your brain think of as being a growl. think of the frequencies that are sent and how they're modified.

a good example is a bandreject filter that narrows out and modulates the midrange freqencies, leaving the low end and the highs left while modulating the middle freqencies to give it that mouthy or characteristic that your brain recognizes as a mouthy sound.

another good tip for creating dubstep growls in general is having a good watery sound in the high end that moves around. one that's not in the perfect stereo field of left and right. have it a bit split up with a chorus or unison effect that makes it play 9000times in one second simulntaniously. because when you have that many sounds repeiting over each other it's percieved to have a watery effect that's really neat.

anothr huge thing is you can have everything soundin really fuckin fly, but gettin a perfect mix is key to makin a royal banger track. mixing your tracks is super important, making sure you've got everything tucked in and compressed ritgt where you need it.

cut the lows till like 20hz and your highs, cut those too till about like 18khz or some shit, that's just extra dither data right there.

if your mastering for .mp3 and planning to send it to a recordlabel aim for -1.5db on your master, other than that keep it right at 0 or -.3. -/3 is perfect for cd's.

when it comes to compression, be careful. compression is great and all, but if you're compressing a shit synth, you're just going to get: shit = (shitsound x levelofcompression). basically you don't want to amplify distortion and dominate your frequency range with garbage. if you're gonna compress something, make sure you keep an eye on the peaks or throw it through a limiter and monitor your threshold and output. shit gets janky sometimes. digital distortion is a terrible thing. analog distortion is a nice warm fuzzy beast that you can wrap your arms around and not have to worry about it ripping your face off.

last of all, there's no cookie cutter method for making a perfect master, each track is its own beast, its own animal and entity that you have to mold, work with to create a final product that you enjoy. sometimes if you cant work it out or make it sound the way you want, just take a break from it and come back later. don't kill yharself over it, no biggie.

if you're uploading to soundcloud, they'll fuck you over and compress the shit out of your tracks. all down to 128kbp/s. which is the most stupid fucking repulsive pathetic piece of shit cuntrag assmuffit fuckwad move in the history of audio production. so if your main upload site is soundclud then make sure to keep and eye on your lows, highs and peaks.

thanks for reading/giving a fuck about what i got to say.

so yea. ddas whut i got mayne. any questions, critisizms or concerns please dont hesitate to ask.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    P R O F E S S I O N A L S H I T P O S T E R

Just bought a couple new midi controllers, one came with an Ableton license. Any personal experience with it? It's based for Ableton, and too busy to mess around with FL to set them up.

I'ma Fuckin Scalie

Gamer IDs

I've got an akai apc-40 and it's designed for ableton but it works perfectly with FL. All the inputs are recognized, but if you want to use any of the knobs or sliders, you have to map them manually. I've mixed/recorded tracks with mine and done shows with it, fucking flawless.

As far as production with ableton, I've used it and made mixes with it but I prefer FL over any other daw. Mainly because I've used FL for years and I'm so familiar with it. But when you're working in ableton with the controller you've got, it should automatically recognize it and set it up for you.

friend also tossed me his akai mpk mini, such a pain to get it to work with any daw. good small travel controller, terrible out the box setup tho

everything has to be manually set up Q . Q

I'ma Fuckin Scalie

Gamer IDs

that's a bitch at times.i personally prefer mapping everything manually. it also saves in the project files, so it's good to go when i open it up.

Just say no to drugs hell nah I ain't listen Drugs's Avatar

Badge

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Spin Master PSN ID: xTiPToN_- Steam ID: xTipton

Contact info:

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/users/xTiPToN

Very informational. Would love a video tutorial. I've got a copy of camtasia 8 laying around on my pc if you need it.

Not a drug addict.

| Wiki | Site Problems | Soundcloud | MTV Artist Page |

PM @Tony for free Netflix Accounts

I'ma Fuckin Scalie

Gamer IDs

I would like to make a video, but it's a lot of work because I have to record the audio and video separately and sync it all together. I've tried to make videos before, but they take for fucking ever to render.

I'ma Fuckin Scalie

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless. View Post
    I would like to make a video, but it's a lot of work because I have to record the audio and video separately and sync it all together. I've tried to make videos before, but they take for fucking ever to render.
    actually, i've finally figured out how i can stream shit.

i was testing it out and it went pretty well, i'll just have to set up a time if people would give a shit enough to watch me fuck around with sound lol.